12 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2020 4:42 AM by Luca Gerber

Different ranges of wages

Luca Gerber

Hi, I'am very new at Tableau so I could need your help. I  have different ranges of wages for one position in a company (e.g. in company 1, the CEO gets between $3000-5000 and in company 2, the CEO gets between $4000-6000). I have information for 10 different companies and I want to compare the ranges in one chart. One axis should be the payment (from $0-10,000 for example) and on the other axis the different companies. I have added a new attachement. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Many thanks for your help.Anmerkung 2020-05-18 212231.jpg

• 1. Re: Different ranges of wages
          Soumitra Godbole

Hi Luca Gerber

Wie gehts es Ihnen ! Hope all is well on your side. I remember seeing your visual sometime

last week (can't remember when but I remember light blue and orange bars). Actually there

were 2 graphs as there was another which looked like a horizontal stacked bar chart.

This visual looks like a Gantt Chart where you normally have the Datetime on the X Axis

and category or some dimension on the Y axis (possibly Companies, wages or position).

The length of these bars is determined by a field that relates to them placed in the Size Mark.

What would really help is if you had some dummy data as a twbx file. This way someone

here in the community could help you out. Take care and Gutten Tag !

Sincerely,
          Soumitra

• 2. Re: Different ranges of wages
            Luca Gerber

Hi Soumitra,

thanks for your help. Yes, I created a post in the normal forum. The visual I posted was a basic diagram from excel. My main goal is to visualize the different ranges of salary for one position and my problem is that I don't know how to visualize ranges properly. Here (https://drive.google.com/open?id=160WN6kC90LnMpWw_oeKIUCtt7xRnNp4f ) you can find the twbx file. Is there any other chance to share the file? Hope someone can help me with that.

Sincerly

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Different ranges of wages
              Soumitra Godbole

Danke Andreas ! I will work it out and get back to you soon.

• 4. Re: Different ranges of wages
                Soumitra Godbole

Hi Andreas,

Here is a simple solution with a little formatting, Color and added Salary Range Labels.

Let me know if this works for you ?

Visual.png

Also here is a screenshot of the worksheet with one calculated field for the Label

Visual 2.png

I have attached the twbx file (version 10.5) below.Let me know if you have any questions. In case this

correctly answers your question, please mark as helpful, correct answer. Take care and Best wishes.

Tschuss !

Sincerely,
                Soumitra

• 5. Re: Different ranges of wages
                  Luca Gerber

Hi Soumitra,

Thank you very much for your effort. As far as I can see, this helps me a lot. I will get to it tomorrow and I will try to understand it. After your solution, I will try to finish it by my own but if I have any further questions, I will ask you.

Thanks again and have a nice day.

Sincerely,

• 6. Re: Different ranges of wages
                    Soumitra Godbole

Hi Andreas,

Bitte ! It was my pleasure and do let me know if you have any questions or need

to modify it further. I have some more ideas which will even enhance this visual and

will be glad to discuss it with you when you have some time.

Instead of only 2 companies, we can apply this to several. Say we have 10 companies

and also we have several positions (apart from CEO) like SVP, VP, MD, SM, Manager.

Depending on your data structure, there are several ways to proceed. This way we will

also be able to determine that for a given position or rank (say CEO) for which company

transition (A to B) will we see the highest range (difference in Salaries) and where it would

be minimum.

Take care and Gutten Abend. Tschuss !

Sincerely,
                    Soumitra

• 7. Re: Different ranges of wages
                      Luca Gerber

Hi Soumitra,

thanks again for your tremendous help. I tried to understand what you've done and I think more or less I got it. In the attachment you'll find my workbook. I also added a picture how I want my final version to look like. ThereforeI  have several questions:

• Is it possible to split the label and put the "from"-figure to the left side of the bar and the "until"- figure to the right (see the attached picture).
                      • Can I change the format to the format how it is in the picture?
                      • How can I visualize in the same workbook, if I don't have a range (e.g. in my workbook the TV BBB) but a fixed salary --> fix salary of $ 3000?
                      • How can I round the label to the second decimal place?
                      • Is it possible to put more than one range for the same company in the workbook and to visualize it appropriate?

Thank you so much for your help and I'm glad to hear from you.

Sincerley,

LucaAnmerkung 2020-05-23 220058.jpg

• 8. Re: Different ranges of wages
                        Soumitra Godbole

Danke Schon Andreas !  I will go through your workbook and get back to

you with requested Dumbbell charts. Guten Abend !

Sincerely,

Soumitra

• 9. Re: Different ranges of wages
                          Soumitra Godbole

Hallo Andreas,

Guten Morgan and here are some ideas I came up with on the fly after going

through your wonderful explanation. I am using the following Dataset that I made up

using the Salary values from your twbx file. Also here is what my modified dataset

looks like:

New Dataset.png

As you mentioned No Range column, which is perfectly fine as it was redundant

to begin with (since you already had the 2 salary values). All I have done here is

shown a Lower Limit indicated by L and a Higher limit indicated by H. If you need

just one value we can create an Avg or  Fixed Salary which is simply

[ Salary(L) + Salary(H) ] / 2

Also here is how you do a simple self join but note that instead of = we will use <>

so you end up with 11 (11 - 1) = 110 combinations of permutations A & B. The

reason I used "Permutation" instead of "Combination" is because going from
                          A to B  is not the same as going from B to A.

Data Join.png

Finally here is a screenshot you your new dataset below. For your reference, I have

attached your twbx file along with the modified excel workbook that I used. Now this is

your first step (part A) and you can create lots of cool visualizations from this workbook.

Visual.png

Do let me know if you have any questions and I hope the above explanation was helpful, easy

to follow. Take care and Best Wishes !

Sincerely,
                          Soumitra

• 10. Re: Different ranges of wages
                            Soumitra Godbole

Hallo again,

Guess what,  I came up with 2 cool ideas that I feel would complement your visual as they give

you a better insight as to what are the best Company A to B to make a transition such that the

change in Salary is maximum.

Here is the first Visual similar to what you had shown, but with some modifications. Apart from

making it vertical, I have used the Bar color of Green (if the salary change is +) and Red (if it is - ).

Actually this is more like a DNA chart (it has a scroll bar but I have removed it from the screenshot)

Visual 1.png

Also note that in the above visual  the light grey circle represents Company A and the Darker circle

is Company B. Looking at this visual, if I was a CEO , I would be looking at the 4 left combinations

that give me the max value of  € 3041.

For your reference, I have attached the twbx file and hope it correctly answered your question and

was helpful and gave good insight. If it did, then please mark as helpful. Take care and Best Wishes.

Danke Schon (with the umlauts) !

Sincerely,

Soumitra

• 11. Re: Different ranges of wages
                              Soumitra Godbole

Hallo one last time,

Finally here is visual 2 that shows you a Matrix where the Rows represent Company A

(initially where you are) and the Columns represent Company B ( you wish to move to).

Visual 2.png

Hope this alternate visual was also insightful and the colors help to give you a

good insight. I have attached the twbx file below. Please mark as helpful if this

correctly answered your question and was helpful like the other earlier posts

(for the time and effort put in as this thread has already been closed).

Take care and Best Wishes. Tschuss !

Sincerely,
                              Soumitra

• 12. Re: Different ranges of wages
                                Luca Gerber

Hi Soumitra, thanks again for your help. Thanks to you, I got a nice overview what is possible in Tableau. Right now I just need the basic overview over the different salaries. So let's see how far I come today. If I have any other questions, I'll write you. Sincerley, Luca