1 Reply Latest reply on May 21, 2020 7:10 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Grouping individuals: Same person, different phases of their lives i.e. John Doe was knighted and is now Sir John Doe

Logan Lugo

This is more of a generalized question as I was wondering how a user would be able to utilize and process Tableau Prep/Tableau for anything associated with John Doe and to link the same individual to a new alias i.e. Sir John Doe...

Is re-aliasing one or the other the only option, or is there another way to link the two without affecting any calculated fields (LOD expressions?) or visualizations?

Ideally, it would be great to see how the data/visualization/etc. changed prior to becoming knighted as this may serve as a great learning resource for those who want to see how individuals change once their alias changes over time.

Any examples of this would be greatly appreciated and conductive to our learnings.

• 1. Re: Grouping individuals: Same person, different phases of their lives i.e. John Doe was knighted and is now Sir John Doe
          Jonathan Drummey

Hi, this sounds similar to reviewing process improvement where at time X a change is made and we want to look at the before/after, and the various CV/resume visualizations where once a skill is gained it is displayed (and potentially shown over time).

If this is more of a CV situation then I'd probably do something like this with a record per life event:

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 9.39.59 AM.png

There's a canonical Person ID identifier that works across the different Name values. If you wanted to have some sort of before/after display or length of event (for example for a Gantt chart) then you could use self-joins or LOD expressions in Prep or self-joins or LOD expressions or table calculations in Desktop to help compute what you need.

If it's more of a process improvement situation then I'd set up the data something like this:

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 9.45.13 AM.png

Where the Knighted Date is joined in with a cross product and the Before/After Knighting is computed with a calculated field. This could be done in either Prep or Desktop.

If you have more questions then I suggest you post some sample data, potentially a packaged flow or workbook, and a description of the outcome you are trying to achieve. Please see Packaged workbooks and flows (and Tableau Public links): when, why, how for more information on why we ask.

Regards,

Jonathan