1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2020 8:35 AM by ZHOU ZHANG

Data Extract works in case of "Local Copy of Data" ?

mudassar.hussain.1

Hi All,
      I want a help on below scenario :

Scenario :  I have a dashboard in (9.2 tableau server) which is based on published data source. This dashboard showing the latest data on daily basis. Some Java jobs refresh its extract and then it show latest data.

Goal : I need to Published the the above 9.2 dashboard on newer version of tableau server 2019.3 with daily basis refresh data.

Things i have done to achieve above:

1. I have downloaded the tableau workbook(.twb) from the tableau server(9.2).
      2. Then i gave the login information of tableau server in order to open the tableau desktop workbook. ( because it based on published data source on server)
      3. Then i click on Data => "Add to Saved Data Sources" and get the .TDS File. This file have some information regarding the data source but not describe the actual location of published data source.

4. Then i right click on data source and choose "Local Copy of data".
      5. Then Publish this local copy of data into my new tableau server: 2019.3
      6.  Then i connect to the published data source by click on "Tableau server" in data connection.

7. Then again right click on data source and choose "replace the data source"
      8. Now i published the workbook to my new tableau server 2019.3.

Result of above steps : Dashboard is published successfully and showing the all information correctly.

Problem :  When i check the dashboard on next day it not shows me latest data. ( Old 9.2 Dashboard showing latest data on daily basis)
                          The old dashboard is created by someone else and i have not sufficient information. After consuming time on the dashboard i realize some java jobs refresh the extract and then old version showing the latest data.

I want to know, after done the above steps. Should my dashboard update on daily basis ?  everything is same like Site URL, Data source Name and Dashboard name.

What should i do ?  I do not know the exact location of data.

Thanks

ZHOU ZHANG

• 1. Re: Data Extract works in case of "Local Copy of Data" ?
          ZHOU ZHANG

Hi Mudassar,

when you publish the 'local copy of data' in step 5, do you see the option to set refresh schedule?  If you can see that, add the refresh schedule will resolve the problem.

If not, In your step 1 you need to download the data source (.tds) file from this 9.2 tableau server as well.  The twb workbook does not consist of data source. You can find data source from 9.2 server within that workbook but different tag.  download that datasource (in .tdsx format) then publish that data source to new server, in this method when you publish you will surely see the option to set refresh schedule.  Then point your workbook to this data source will work.

Just remember that workbook and data source are separate content on server. Only packaged workbook will zip in both workbook and datasource as one file.

cheers

Jimmy Zhang

• 2. Re: Data Extract works in case of "Local Copy of Data" ?
            mudassar.hussain.1

Hi Jimmy,
            Thanks for the reply.
            Please see my comment in Bold.
            when you publish the 'local copy of data' in step 5, do you see the option to set refresh schedule?  If you can see that, add the refresh schedule will resolve the problem.

Answer : No, I have checked it not shown the schedule option.

If not, In your step 1 you need to download the data source (.tds) file from this 9.2 tableau server as well. The twb workbook does not consist of data source. You can find data source from 9.2 server within that workbook but different tag.download that datasource (in .tdsx format) then publish that data source to new server, in this method when you publish you will surely see the option to set refresh schedule.Then point your workbook to this data source will work.

Answer : I have download the .tdsx file from the tableau server (9.2). and then try to publish that data source to another tableau server.But it not shown any schedule option to me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Jimmy
            I am exploring the dashboard right now with every point of view. i got some points which want to share with you. and then want to know your thoughts :

A guy who build the dashboard do the followings :(My assumption on the basis of Tableau server,some available documents and java code):

1. Create an extract (.tde) of data with java code.

2. Then published that extract (.tde) file to data server as a data source. ( as shown in the below image of  that tableau server 9.2 )

3.  Then connect to this published data source by choosing "Tableau server" in tableau desktop.
            4.  Then published the workbook on tableau server.
            5.  Then replace or update that uploaded .tde file through code.

Now i have published the workbook on tableau 2019.3 but it have one issue it have not latest data. My assumption is :
            we need to update in the jave code like SiteID, ServerURL, User NAme,password as

What your thoughts ?

Thanks a lot.

• 3. Re: Data Extract works in case of "Local Copy of Data" ?
              ZHOU ZHANG

Hi Mudassar,

I don't think you need to trouble yourself with REST API code for this as it is one time effort.

Back to your information, so now you have the tdsx file. that's a good start.

step 1. Open *.tdsx with your Tableau Desktop.

step 2. click 'Data Source' tag which is in front of 'Sheet 1'

Screenshot 2020-05-07 21.16.57.png

step 3. a connection editing window should pop up, make sure you key in the necessary connection information like database url, username and password (the pop up format depends on your data source type). then click OK or Connect. Tableau desktop should start reading data and generating extract.

Step 4. after the extract is generated, you can publish this data source to 2019.3 server, this time you should be able to see the schedule option, because this newly created extract has the connection information you just provided in step 3.

Screenshot 2020-05-07 21.22.11.png

Hope this helps.

cheers

Jimmy Zhang

• 4. Re: Data Extract works in case of "Local Copy of Data" ?
                mudassar.hussain.1

Thanks for the reply @Jimmy

1. I am not going to write any java code, it is already done by the other guys. I just need to refresh my published data source in order to complete my work.

I just want to know, is it possible which i describe you in the above thread ?

2.  I have open the .tdsx file.
                      First it is not showing all column name as in the worksheet(.twb).
                     Second now i am able to see the refresh option during the data source publishing.
                      In 9.2 tableau server there is a one subscription that attached to the workbook which is "Weekday early 9am".
                      and this subscription is not appeared in the Refresh list when i tried to publish the data source.

What is the difference between Extract Refresh and subscription ?

How can i confirm which schedule job attached with specific workbook ?
                I go to schedule and check the schedule job one by one and check the attached workbook.

Thanks,

• 5. Re: Data Extract works in case of "Local Copy of Data" ?
                  ZHOU ZHANG

Hi Mudassar,

1. It is possible to create tableau extract (9.2 format is .tde, in 2019.3 the format has been upgrade to .hyer) via REST API then automate that refresh process via javascript. We only considering this way when there is a batch of extract like 100+ to refresh and manage.  Otherwise web UI is easier than scripting.

2.  Subscriptions email you an image or PDF snapshot of a view or workbook at regular intervals—without requiring you to sign in to Tableau Server. Extract refresh updates the data in data source.  They are different types of server task and apply to different types of contents on server, subscription is only for Workbook but not for Data Source. So you won't find it when publishing data source and it does not affect extract refresh.

3.  How can i confirm which schedule job attached with specific workbook ?

In genernal you can find all refresh schedules for a data source under the data source page. From your last screenshot, click Data Source (in front of Subscription), there are 2 data sources under the tag, click one and check the refresh schedules associated with that data source.

the UI on server varies based on version. Below is what I found on version 2020.1, version 2019.3 is similar, but v9.2 should be different.

Screenshot 2020-05-08 06.24.14.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Data Extract works in case of "Local Copy of Data" ?
                    mudassar.hussain.1

Many thanks for they Guidance @jimmy
                    When i click on "Data Source" it show me two data source. I select one which is used in dashboard. It does not show me any "Refresh Schedule"

When i click on 3 Dot (...) it just give me "Edit Connection" option which is also un-highlighted.
                    Is it mean there is no refresh schedule attached with this data source ?

• 7. Re: Data Extract works in case of "Local Copy of Data" ?
                      ZHOU ZHANG

Hi Mudassar,

This means you are in the 'workbook' content type and select 'Data Source'. Could you try switch to 'Data Source' content type first then check the schedule. It should be same place where you can download the tdsx file.

• 8. Re: Data Extract works in case of "Local Copy of Data" ?
                        mudassar.hussain.1

Hi Jimmy
                        I have select the "Data Source" type from content type. But it did not show the schedule :

My assumptions is :
                        There is no schedule for this data source.
                        .tde file updated on tableau server by the back-end java job. and then dashboard show the latest data.
                        This .tde file modified today :

Thanks,

• 9. Re: Data Extract works in case of "Local Copy of Data" ?
                          ZHOU ZHANG

Hi Mudassar,

It is possible the refresh is automated outside tableau server. You need to ask the data source owner/publisher to find out the refresh. Note that other software like Alteryx also can publish tableau extract to tableau server with its own scheduler.

thanks

Jimmy Zhang

• 10. Re: Data Extract works in case of "Local Copy of Data" ?
                            mudassar.hussain.1

Hi Jimmy,
                            It is confirmed that jave code creating and updating the extract Because i saw some java code. I ask the java guy to update the information
                            Like new 2019.3 URL, Site, UserName and passowrd in order to refresh the data source on 2019.3.

Summary of above thread (My Assumptions ):

Tableau 9.2

1. Guy create the extract with the help of java code.
                            2. Then published the .tde file to tableau server (9.2 old)
                            3.  Then connect the workbook from the above published data source.
                            4.  A Java job daily update the extract and then published it to the server (9.2). so the dashboard show the latest data on daily basis.

Tableau 2019.3

1. I download the workbook from server (9.2). (It is show the latest data)
                            2. I create the local copy of that data source. and then published the .tde file to 2019.3 server.
                            3. then connect the workbook to tableau published data source.

4. then published this workbook to new version tableau server 2019.3. and it is also show the latest data as old version show. (9.2)

Step need to refresh the .tde file :

Now i need to refresh the .tde file on latest version tableau 2019.3. If it will updated on daily basis then dashboard show the latest data on daily basis.

What you thoughts ? You final summarized word ?

Thanks again.

• 11. Re: Data Extract works in case of "Local Copy of Data" ?
                              ZHOU ZHANG

Hi Mudassar,

In this case you need to get your coder to update the javascript program to publish and do daily update of the extract on new Tableau Server. What you summarize here on 2019.3 would not work as the extract (i.e. the .tdsx file that you download) itself does not contain any connection information so Tableau Server cannot refresh the data.  Imagine the .tdsx file as a .csv file in this case, what you download and pocess is only has data, but no source information.

In short, you need to find the coder to update the program to point to new Tableau Server, or create this data source by yourself or your team via Tableau Prep or other ETL tools.

cheers

Jimmy Zhang

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Data Extract works in case of "Local Copy of Data" ?
                                mudassar.hussain.1

Thanks,Got your point @Jimmy

What you summarize here on 2019.3 would not work as the extract (i.e. the .tdsx file that you download) itself does not contain any connection information so Tableau Server cannot refresh the data.  Imagine the .tdsx file as a .csv file in this case, what you download and pocess is only has data, but no source information.

But How .tde file update on daily bases at tableau server old 9.2 ?  as i show you earlier

which file have connection information ?

Thanks again.

• 13. Re: Data Extract works in case of "Local Copy of Data" ?
                                  ZHOU ZHANG

the java code has the connection info in your case

• 14. Re: Data Extract works in case of "Local Copy of Data" ?
                                    mudassar.hussain.1

Thanks @Jimmy
                                    waiting for java side response.
                                    will contact you if face any issue again.
                                    Thanks a lot

1 2 Previous Next