5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2020 1:15 PM by Soumitra Godbole

How can i give a field a color based on a number from a different field?

rockey.mahamoed

Hi,

I have a question. I have 2 fields. 1 field is called "team" with a list of all the names of teams and another field is named "grade" with all grades.

How can i turn "team" into red if they score below 5.5 and above 5.5 green? so lets say Team Mickey gets turned green when their grade under "grade" contains 8

• 1. Re: How can i give a field a color based on a number from a different field?
          Ken Flerlage

Are you just trying to change the color of the text? Any chance you can share a packaged workbook so we can see the data and it's structure?

• 2. Re: How can i give a field a color based on a number from a different field?
            Soumitra Godbole

Hi Rockey,

Here is a simple solution along  with the twbx file and excel spreadsheet (attached below).

Dashboard.png

In addition to the simple Red and Green color you requested (based on whether the Grade was

greater than 5.5 or not), I have added a Score Color formula that adjusts the Red and Green

shades (a bit shady ) depending on how much higher or lower the grade is in comparison to

the set value of 5.5.

Hope this was helpful, entertaining and visually appealing. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Wishes !

Sincerely,
            Soumitra

• 3. Re: How can i give a field a color based on a number from a different field?
              rockey.mahamoed

Hi Soumitra,

First of all, thanks for the help and the solution you gave to me. I had 2 more questions. If i wanted to use 3 colors like red for everything under 5.5, orange for 5.5 and green for everything above 5.5, how would this be possible? I see with editing colors you could only pick 2 colors and it automatically changes the color in between. And what does the calculation actually say? The average of field "grade" - 5.5  and then divided by 4.5?

2nd is there a way to color team like Donald/mickey/goofy red/orange/green depending on the grade?

Thanks!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How can i give a field a color based on a number from a different field?
                Soumitra Godbole

Hi Rockey

You're welcome ! Sure you can get several colors as per your requirement. The formula

I posted earlier was something new I was trying out to get a bit more color depth. Usually

most folks prefer one color for a bucket range and it works fine in most cases but sometimes

it does look monotonous. Also your original question only requested >= 5.5 and < 5.5.

What I was trying to do using this formula was to show different shades of 2 colors (Red

and Green) depending on how far the Grade was from 5.5. Let's say Donald (Duck) had

a score which was slightly below 5.5 (say 5.3) then we would see a light red. Goofy really

goofed up and his score was only 3.3 so you see a darker shade of Red. Similarly if Pluto

only made a 6.0 then he would have a lighter shade of Green.

Anyway you have now given me more colors constraints so I updated the Grade Color :

Formula.png

As far as the 2nd part goes, "yes we can" (color the image and the Team Name). All we

have to ensure is that the image has a transparent background (png file) and not white

as I had it in your earlier solution (Office365 Powerpoint and other useful graphic tools

like GIMP allow you to make the background transparent). Finally here is your new visual

(after slightly modifying data)

Dashboard.png

For your reference, I have attached the Enhanced Solution twbx file along with the updated

data file. Do let me know if you have any further questions or need any modifications. I hope

this exercise was helpful, visually appealing and entertaining. Best wishes and take care !

Sincerely,
                Soumitra

• 5. Re: How can i give a field a color based on a number from a different field?
                  Soumitra Godbole

On a lighter note, it's  a great thing you did not select "Yellow" as one of the colors.

The last thing any Team or player wants is to be called "Yellow" (coward) .

Also I hope Mickey's journey into outer space to find Pluto was successful.

Best Wishes !

Sincerely,
                  Soumitra