2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2020 5:18 AM by Shaina Smolowe

Client Sites

Shaina Smolowe

Hello,

I feel like I have been on a wild goose chase trying to find an answer to this question with no luck. Hoping someone can help!

Situation: Assume we have 10-20 clients with expected growth to 100+ in the new few years. Client data is accessed from one of four servers. We want each client to be able to access their own data/dashboards through Tableau server. There should be no risk of them seeing other client's data. The dashboards for each client are 95% the same, but there are some calculated fields that differ for each. I also have unique client logos imported to dashboards to make them customized.

Current Solution: I have 1 workbook per client and 1 site on Tableau Server for each client (I chose sites over projects to ensure they can't see other's data). For any updates that I want every client to get, I need to update all 10-20 workbooks individually. Eventually, this won't be manageable.

Question: Is it possible to make updates to multiple workbooks at once if they have the same fields/dashboards? Do I need to merge all data from the start and create one giant workbook with dashboards for each client within it? Are there other options I'm not considering?

Someone had proposed Tableau Prep to put the data together and then filter based on a customer ID when publishing to Server, but I think I would lose the customization with customer logos and certain unique calculations.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Client Sites
          Peter Fakan

Hi Shaina,

Question: Is it possible to make updates to multiple workbooks at once if they have the same fields/dashboards? Do I need to merge all data from the start and create one giant workbook with dashboards for each client within it? Are there other options I'm not considering?

Yes. You can change the backend data connection and have it 'update' all of the vizzes that are connected to it without needing to change the workbook.

No, you don't need to merge all of the data from the start, but its a consideration you should probably seriously think about when applying the customer id filter due to the increased risk of complication when you split this down into multiple workbooks. You can handle the different logos by using the same filter that you use to restrict the data and a layout container. My preference would be to handle it inside a single workbook for this reason alone.

If you have your server setup correctly, you could configure it to ensure that the data is kept in a single repository and updated independently when the vizzes load (live connection). If you go down the other path and generate extracts for each client workbook, then you will have to update each one as each extract will be stored separately on tableau server.

HTH

Peter

• 2. Re: Client Sites
            Shaina Smolowe

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your response! Let me clarify a bit.

Question: Is it possible to make updates to multiple workbooks at once? Each workbook has a different data source, but within that data source are identical field names. I am more looking to understand if I can add calculated fields or new dashboards to all of my workbooks at once.

Clarifying: "You can handle the different logos by using the same filter that you use to restrict the data and a layout container.". Can you explain this a bit further?