5 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2020 4:52 AM by Josh Dominick

Forecasting Agent FTEs in Tableau

Nawfal Mahmood

Hello awesome people,

I was wondering if anyone has an idea of Tableau capability when it comes to, forecasting agents FTE in Tableau using the Erlang equation (for contact center staffing). I am quite new to Tableau and the role I am doing as well (Workforce Analyst). I am hoping I can build the Forecast FTE in Tableau as I have the data streamed to it, rather than having the data and the dashboard in Tableau and keep using the excel sheet template for the forecast FTE.

is there any available way could potentially give closer results to the Erlang outputs If Tableau is not capable of doing agent forecasting utilizing the Erlang equation?

Here is the link for the Erlang equation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erlang_(unit)

If anyone could guide through that I would be most grateful and if not I appreciate the time you took to read my question!

Thank you once again!

• 1. Re: Forecasting Agent FTEs in Tableau
          Don Wise

Hello,

Personally I'd love to see someone take this on, and I'd do it myself if my plate wasn't full already.  No, I haven't seen anyone else do what you're asking for on the Forums.  What you could do though is follow along with some of the available MS-Excel examples that are available online and reverse engineer those to meet your needs.  Here's an example: Calculate Call Center Staffing with Excel (Erlang formula)   or here  Erlang C Calculator Excel – Including Shrinkage  

There are some related posts (not solved) here: tableau erlang-c site:community.tableau.com

Hope it helps.  Best, Don

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Forecasting Agent FTEs in Tableau
            Peter Fakan

Hi Nawfal,

Which of the Erlang formula are you attempting to replicate ?

It appears relative enough, for example the offered traffic formula inside Tableau would be;

E=\lambda h

//Erlang (E)
            [Call arrival rate] * [Average call holding time]

I don't have much idea of what the characters mean in the Erlang B, Extended Erlang B, or Erlang C formula as they are either not well described on the wiki or I wasn't looking at it deeply enough, but if you can upload a sample dataset that includes all of these values, I should be able to write the formula for you.

HTH

Peter

• 3. Re: Forecasting Agent FTEs in Tableau
              Nawfal Mahmood

Hello Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to look into my question and write to me with your answer!

We are using Erlang A as it calculates the FTE per day while Erlang C calculates the FTE per 30min time interval throughout the day.

Thank you for the information you included. My main source of knowledge when it comes to this matter would be A Beginner’s Guide to the Erlang A Formula . It explains the ABC of Erlang with the different types it has. Give it a look you might like it as well.

I will try to get a sample of the data and I really appreciate your help and support.

Thank you once again for your time and attention.

Nawfal

• 4. Re: Forecasting Agent FTEs in Tableau
                Nawfal Mahmood

Hello Don,

Thank you for taking the time to look into my question and write to me with your answer.

I looked into the links you provided and it's very helpful. I will take on this project, see how it goes and keep everyone here posted. I've seen the previous post and noticed it wasn't solved so I thought there might be an update on it but not shared with everyone.

I am using the Call Center Helper as the main source of info on the Erlang topic but didn't go through the article you included neither the LOKAD website. Thanks for the suggestion and the knowledge sharing!

Thanks once again for your time and attention.

Nawfal

• 5. Re: Forecasting Agent FTEs in Tableau
                  Josh Dominick

Nawfal, were you ever successful in doing this in Tableau? I'm currently working on a similar project and would love to know if this is possible.