3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2020 8:49 PM by Soumitra Godbole

Tableau decides on wrong line type

thang.nguyen.24

I simply can't understand Tableau's logic!

If I left the label of a reference line on, it would generated a correct line type that I selected. However, if I removed the label to reduce clusters on the chart, it would make a wrong line type.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks,

Thang

• 1. Re: Tableau decides on wrong line type
          Soumitra Godbole

Hi Thang,

Hello again stranger . This was a cool problem and due to repeated exposure to such a scenario,

over the years we are able to easily deduce the reason for this behavior. Whenever you are creating a

Dual Axis chart, depending on the situation you may or may not synchronize the 2 axes (right side and

left side).

Also whenever you add a label to a reference line (say on top of the line), Tableau automatically

adjusts the axis scale. such that the label can be fit into the given area. In your case, you had not

Synchronized the axes and so you were seeing 2 parallel lines close together. I have just synchronized

them and they perfectly coincide.

Visual.png

I have attached the twbx file for your reference. Hope this made sense and answers your question.

Do let me know if you have any questions. Best Wishes !

Sincerely,
          Soumitra

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau decides on wrong line type
            thang.nguyen.24

OMG, I couldn't believe that! Thanks for the rescue, Soumitra Godbole.

No, we're not strangers; we are friends now, I hope

Still, I can't understand Tableau's logic. When dual axes are used, they should be automatically synchronised, not leaving it up to users. Why on earth it synchronised the color of the reference lines, but not the positions? If it didn't synchronise the reference line colors, users could then easily detect what the issue was.

Once again, thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Thang

• 3. Re: Tableau decides on wrong line type
              Soumitra Godbole

You're welcome Thang ! I meant the word stranger as a joke . Tableau's logic is absolutely correct

i.e. to leave it up to the user to decide if the synchronization is needed or not. In your case it was needed,

but here is an example where it would make no sense as you are comparing 2 measures orders of

magnitude apart as shown in the example below (Quantity in Thousands and Financial Ratio which is the

Ratio of Sum of Profit to Sum of Sales).

Visual.png

Hope this makes sense and conveys the idea. Best Wishes !

Sincerely,
              Soumitra