4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2020 3:19 AM by David Browne

Tableau Online Changes Date Format when it refreshed

Jaime Lasso

Hi Tableau Community:

I have a tableau Desktop file with date format dd/mm/yyyy and its source is an Excel Dropbox File, and when I refreshed it from Tableau Online it changes to mm/dd/yyyy.

I tried changing the regional configuration from all the PC's that uses this excel file from Dropbox to South America Region, and the Tableau Online config is on this region too.

I don't know how can I fix it, because a lot of dashboards calculations that depends on this dates are showing wrong information.

I hope that you can help me.

Thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: Tableau Online Changes Date Format when it refreshed
          David Browne

Hello Jaime,

For the workbook is the date format set as Automatic for the field or have you specified a format? If you haven't specific a format I would probably recommend doing this as it should make the decision as to what format to show the date in

Custom Date Formats - Tableau

Let me know if this does/does not work.

Thanks,

David

• 2. Re: Tableau Online Changes Date Format when it refreshed
            Jaime Lasso

Thank you for your answer David.

The workbook date format is set to dd/mmm/yyyy and the region is on "Español (Colombia)".

When I refresh the extraction from Tableau Desktop (From and Excel File load into Dropbox), the date format is retained in dd/mm/yyyy, but when this extract is automatically refreshed from Tableau Online (us-west-2b.online.tableau.com) the format is changed dated to mm/dd/yyyy. I don't know what to do to prevent this change from being made with automatic extraction updates from Tableau Online.

I don't know what else I should provide to clarify this problem.

Thank you very much for your help.

When I refresh the extraction from Tableau Desktop, the date format is retained in dd / mm / yyyy, but when this extract is automatically refreshed from Tableau Online (us-west-2b.online.tableau.com) the format is changed dated to mm / dd / yyyy. I don't know what to do to prevent this change from being made with automatic extraction updates from Tableau Online. I don't know what else I should provide to clarify this problem. Thank you very much for your help.
            • 3. Re: Tableau Online Changes Date Format when it refreshed
              Jaime Lasso

Hi Tableau community, I hope that everyone are staying safe in home with your family and close friends. I'm working from home and I'm still dealing with this date format problem. Hopefully you can help me soon.

Thanks a lot.

Be safe all of you,

• 4. Re: Tableau Online Changes Date Format when it refreshed
                David Browne

Hello Jaime,

Did you try setting a date format for a specific field rather than the entire workbook? Did this work?

David