9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2020 1:24 AM by Diego Parker

Chart Types in The Professional Certification Exam

tonyj2019

Hi Community,

Does the professional exam require building very complex charts types? I am not very sure of the difficulty of the actual exam. Please share your insights on the exam, thank you.

Tony

• 1. Re: Chart Types in The Professional Certification Exam
          Michael Ye

No, that is not the issue. You need to deeply understand calculations and know how to resolve problems based on current data.

• 2. Re: Chart Types in The Professional Certification Exam
            tonyj2019

Thank you, I just wanted to know how difficult the actual exam is compared with the exam guide, as I don't think the sample questions are too difficult but I also want to be prepared if the actual ones are far more difficult.

• 3. Re: Chart Types in The Professional Certification Exam
              Diego Parker

Hi Tony,

The charts are really basic and pretty much what you will find in the guide. In my case, I believe I didn't build anything that couldn't be built using the "show me" pane, that said, I used other features such as good actions and annotations to drive insight from the charts. The complexity of the exam is mainly to be able to do it quickly and clearly and know how to manage your time. The are a few blogs about it, such as this https://sarahlovesdata.co.uk/2019/09/07/practical-tips-to-help-you-prepare-for-the-tableau-desktop-certified-professiona… which can help you with some tips and ideas about the exam.

Happy to discuss more about it as long as it doesn't include details

Good luck!

Hope this helps If does, can I ask you to mark it as helpful and correct? this will help other users to find correct answers and will allow us to close the thread. Many thanks!

Best,

Diego

• 4. Re: Chart Types in The Professional Certification Exam
                tonyj2019

Hello Diego,

Thank you for your kind reply! I have marked your answer CORRECT.

I understand it is wrong to ask for more details of the actual exam, but I am just wondering about the difficulty of the actual questions compared with that of the ones in the guide. I don't find the guide sample questions that difficult, while I am unsure of the story boarding part since is not included in the guide (the exam guides sometimes are not accurate reflections of the actual exams e.g. there is no T/F questions in the associate's exam any longer!). Could you share some of your experience in dealing with the story boarding question please? That will be really helpful to me!

By the way, are the table calculation and LOD questions any difficult please? I heard that join calculation skill is required too, correct?

Thank you very much!!!

Tony

• 5. Re: Chart Types in The Professional Certification Exam
                  Diego Parker

Hi Tony,

Sorry for my late reply as I have been very busy at work. The reason why you don't find the sample guides that difficult is because the questions in the exam are not difficult either. If you had all the time in the world to do the exam it is very likely you would pass it without problem. However, because the time is very tight a few things happen: 1) you have to decide what will you prioritise, 2) you will have to decide how much time are you willing to spend on a question before moving on, 3) you will certainly feel more nervous and as the time goes on you will be a bit panicky which may lead to mistakes. This is the complexity of the exam.

Regarding the storyboard, it will use most of what you did for your dashboard and maybe a couple of extra worksheets. Don't focus too much in making it perfectly pretty and remember that stories are usually static. Make sure to use the features available do drag attention to you different points, such as using annotations and reference lines. Remember you can float some stuff on top too. Also, keep in mind is a story and it should follow a narrative. That said, you won't have time to make everything (or anything) perfect so just go with whatever comes to your mind and don't try to make it too pretty. If you have time, then you can go back and add more detail to it.

The table calculation, LOD and joins questions are not too hard but they may catch you in the spot if you are too nervous. I'd advice to do your dashboard and story first, then the visualisation good practices as it is easier than the technical part and then try to answer the easier questions first. If you feel getting stuck, move on and you can come back to that question later if you have time. On that note, remember the key point is TIME MANAGEMENT.

Hope you find this helpful!

Best,

Diego

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Chart Types in The Professional Certification Exam
                    tonyj2019

Thank you, Diego! This is helpful indeed! The kind of answer I've looking for! Much appreciated!

• 7. Re: Chart Types in The Professional Certification Exam
                      Diego Parker

No worries! glad to had been able to help let me know if you get any further questions.

Best,

Diego

• 8. Re: Chart Types in The Professional Certification Exam
                        tonyj2019

Hello Diego,

Thank you again for your suggestions!

I have another small question - Is the workbook in exam similar to the Starter Workbook in the exam guide please?

Thank you!!

Tony

• 9. Re: Chart Types in The Professional Certification Exam
                          Diego Parker

Hi Tony,

Sorry for my late reply.

I am 99% sure it is (I took it in December and mi memory is a bit faint but I'm pretty sure it is). You will already have some worksheets created with the questions and some empty worksheets for the response. Make sure you save often!

Best,

Diego