4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2020 3:28 PM by Abbie Holbrook

Custom Regions and dual axis map

Abbie Holbrook

Hello,

I am trying to make a map that shows internal regions (which are called pods) grouped up by territories by their zip code (bold outline).

Ex:

Northern 1

Northern 2

Central 1

Central 2

Southern 1

Southern 2

On top of these pods,  I would like to second layer to the map that splits shows counties (within these counties, I will add the number of people currently in a hospital)

I have attached the excel file that i plan to use to join to the data from our data warehouse which shows counties, zips, pods.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Custom Regions and dual axis map
          Don Wise

Hi Abbie,

Is this what you're trying to do?  It's a dual-axis map which represents the counties and zip codes which fall into the POD schema:

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 2.30.22 PM.png

A 10.2 workbook version is attached as reference.  Please let me know if this is what you're looking for and if so I can walk you through the steps to get there.  As this is a dual-axis map, combining both counties and zip codes, you won't be able to layer in any additional layers, such as hospitals unless you pre-prep in some other tool such as QGIS or ARCGIS.

Best, Don

• 2. Re: Custom Regions and dual axis map
            Abbie Holbrook

Hello Don,

Yes,  this is exactly what I need.    Can you tell me more about adding additional layers using tools like QGIS or ARCGIS?

Also, I just noticed that some of the pods overlap regions (meaning there are multiple counties for a given pod (like Los Angeles).  Can you think of any way to further separate these out.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Custom Regions and dual axis map
              Don Wise

Hi Abbie,

ArcGIS is a paid GIS software tool and QGIS is an open source GIS software tool (https://www.qgis.org/en/site/ ) which would likely require some in-depth training to use...but what I was driving at is the ability to use those GIS software tools to combine your data into one .shp (spatial) file so that you can use other techniques native to Tableau to add other attributes.  Tableau now supports use of spatial files so that you can layer in additional attributes with commonalities found in your dataset.  So one element or attribute in your spatial data could be joined/linked to other related data to help build your map or story out further.  We're hopeful that Tableau will support multiple spatial layers in a future release.

For the last question, I don't know your data as well as you or your counterparts might...I'm formerly in public-safety with Fire/EMS, now semi-retired so I understand what you're doing with PODs and Hospitals here...that said, perhaps go back to originator of data to see if there's some clean-up that might be needed?  I ask that question because if I zoom into LA County there are multiple zip codes which fall into a non-conforming POD regions, so there might be issues with the data.  Other than that, I'd consider adding in all zip codes in CA and associate them with the proper POD for custom territory mapping.

Best, Don

• 4. Re: Custom Regions and dual axis map
                Abbie Holbrook

Thanks so much Don,  I really appreciate you taking the time out to answer my noobie questions.

I will certainly go back and confer with my colleagues so that we can get on the same page regarding pod overlap. Thanks for the input.