1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 10, 2020 7:12 AM by Soumitra Godbole

Shift axis labels to bottom

Varsha Sen

Hi,

I have a requirement to show the labels in the bottom. However I'm unable to shift the labels. I have attached my workbook. I want the labels A,B,C,D,E at the bottom. I have attached the required screenshot as well as my workbook. Also is it possible to increase the gaps between the bar as shown in screenshot. Please help.

Thanks,

Sen

• 1. Re: Shift axis labels to bottom
          Soumitra Godbole

Hi Varsha,

It was nice to see a new problem posted by you after a long time. Also this time it's not just a

cool & fun problem but it is definitely challenging and thought provoking. Here is my take on this using

something never used before showing a dimensional axis scale title for a scale that is actually a measure.

Dashboard.png

Actually what you are seeing above is a dual axis chart where the Bars, labels are one measure (y axis

values) and the X Axis labels are invisible Text labels placed on an X axis that is a measure (actually the

values A, B, C etc were converted to 1,2,3.. numbers). The actual X axis is hidden but I made it look like

the A, B, C etc are really headers.

I did have to remove your formulas as I had envisioned a completely new solution and wished to start

from scratch so as to embark upon a new world (in this case a new solution)

Calculated fields:

Just 6 calculated fields helped to create the above

Formula 1 - Area ID.png

It was necessary to assign numbers for each area so we could place them on a graph horizontally

Formula 2 - Category Header.png

This would help with the color dimension

Formula 3 - Category Value.png

This would help in calculating the Sum(Values) without having

to use any table calculation

Formula 4 - X Axis Values.png

By adjusting the +0.1 or -0.1, you can even increase the distance between

the bars (which answers the 2nd part of your question)

Formula 5 - Position of Area Header.png

I have selected -2.0 Million after looking at the entire data (knowing the Max values

which was in the 20 million range). This can be adjusted accordingly based on your data.

Formula 6 - Area Header.png

This was necessary else you would see 2 headers for A, B, C ...

Creating the visual:

Visual.png

Like in most dual axis charts, do remember to synchronize the y axis values.

Hope the above exercise was helpful and easy to follow. Thanks for such a wonderful problem that

enabled me to think out of the box and arrive at a cool solution for something that looks almost impossible

to do ie placing 2 pairs or bars on a dimension scale (which in reality is not the case as the x axis is very

much a measure). I have given it a 5 star rating (* * * * *) although it deserves more.

Also for your reference, I have attached the twbx file. Do let me know if you have any questions or need

further clarity. Hope this was helpful and correctly answered your question. Best Wishes !

Sincerely,

Soumitra