13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2020 9:25 AM by Andrzej Gabryel

Hide sheets in Tableau Server

Andrzej Gabryel

Hey,

I have a workbook with 4 dashboards. In 2 dashboards I have actions filtering separate sheets and going to these sheets (one action goes to one sheet). When I publish a dashboard without these sheets actions don't work (it is quite obvious). When I publish these sheets user can see all sheets and I would like to avoid it. Is there a way to hide sheets on Tableau server, so the user can see them only after using action. I know I can hide sheets as tabs and create buttons, but still, the user will see these sheets after choosing the workbook.

I have also tried to embed these sheets in the dashboard as 1-pixel floating, but actions do not work then as well.

Greetings

Andrzej Gabryel

• 1. Re: Hide sheets in Tableau Server
          Joe Oppelt

Don't publish the sheets.  Put the sheets on dashboards, and only publish the dashboards.  You can control the display of sheets on dashboards such that if the user navigates to the dashboard without using the proper action, you can display a message saying they need to do x-y-z from dashboard a-b-c, and then have another action to return them back to a-b-c.

The specifics of how you would do that in your workbook would depend on what's getting passed in the action and other factors specific to your workbook and sheet design.  I can help you with that if you provide a sample workbook.

• 2. Re: Hide sheets in Tableau Server
            Andrzej Gabryel

Dear Joe.

I would like to show these tables as separate sheets. They shouldn't be shown in a dashboard

Greetings

Andrzej Gabryel

• 3. Re: Hide sheets in Tableau Server
              Joe Oppelt

Andrzej Gabryel wrote:

I would like to show these tables as separate sheets. They shouldn't be shown in a dashboard

OK, then I don't have an answer for you about hiding them.

Showing them on a dashboard will look just like showing them as a sheet to the user.  They won't know the difference.

• 4. Re: Hide sheets in Tableau Server
                Andrzej Gabryel

Dear Joe,

When I think about it now I think it can be a solution. I know how I can hide sheets to display them only with actions, but I have one question for you. How Can I display the text "This Worksheet works only with actions" only if a person goes to this dashboard without action?

Greetings

Andrzej Gabryel

• 5. Re: Hide sheets in Tableau Server
                  Joe Oppelt

Most times that this is an issue, it's because the target dashboard (or sheet) expects a single value, and with multiple values, the sheet is messy and useless.

You can make a calc:

{ EXCLUDE [Dim1],[Dim2],… : COUNTD([whatever dimension you are checking]) }

Exclude all the dimensions on the sheet.  That countD will tell you how many of your subject dimension came into the sheet.  If it is 1, you're good to go.  If not, then you pop out a different sheet.

Are you familiar with sheet swapping?  You can place that calc on FILTERS on two sheets.  On one sheet you select only for value = 1.  On the other sheet you select for all values except 1.  So only one or the other will display.  One will be your normal data sheet.  The other will simply display, "Hey, you broke the rules, and you need to go back and do things correctly!!!  Press here to return to the main menu..."  And then you would have an action on that second sheet that returns to the main menu.  Both sheets would have all the same filters applied (including the filter action that gets the user to the dashboard.)  That way both sheets would be arriving at the same value for that EXCLUDE LOD.

The best I can do is give you that high level description.  If you need help with sheet swapping, you can check out my videos here:

New series of videos on swapping and popping on a dashboard

If you need help overall, I can do far more for you if I had a sample workbook to implement it in.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Hide sheets in Tableau Server
                    Andrzej Gabryel

Hey Joe

Thank you a lot for your help. Please find attached the workbook (it is simplified as I am not allowed to share original data, in the original one I have many more sheets and I use 2 different data sources for 2 dashboards).

The main issue for me is grand total. I am using exclude all Action. When I click using grand total I cannot see any values. Is there a way to avoid this? I think that I could create separate tables only for grand Totals, but I would like to avoid this.

Greetings

Andrzej Gabryel

• 7. Re: Hide sheets in Tableau Server
                      Joe Oppelt

Tell me more.

1)  Which is your starting dashboard?

2)  When you click on a particular row on the starting dashboard, what do you expect to happen?

3)  TOTALS rows have no dimensional values.  Do you notice in the tooltips when you hover over the grand total number, the dimensional value displays as "ALL"?  That's Tableau's way of making sense (to the user) of what's actually under the hood on that mark.  The real value there is " * ", because that row is an aggregate, and there is no tableau concept of aggregate dimensional values collapsed into one mark.  You are not going to be successful passing values from the TOTALS rows in an action.  If you do expect that, we're going to have to work out a different design of your dashboard.

• 8. Re: Hide sheets in Tableau Server
                        Andrzej Gabryel

Hey

1) There are two starting dashboards both Property and Sales

2) I would like to see sales in this category per country. Wen I choose Grand Total for Sales I would like to see costs per country for whole category group Sales (Presales, After Sales, Sales and Sales Support). I cannot use tooltip because in real data there are too many countries to display them.

3)  I know about this issue. I thought that there is some workaround for it. Maybe during using Grand total, I could use Cost type group instead of Cost type. The only solution which I found is to create separate tables for grand total, but I would like to avoid this.

Greetings

Andrzej Gabryel

• 9. Re: Hide sheets in Tableau Server
                          Joe Oppelt

The attached is only step 1.

I made 4 calcs, one each for your 4 type groups.  On each respective sheet I put one of them.

And I made sheet 9 (which I called warning sheet in the title of certain actions.)

Each of your 4 initiating sheets will pass its respective value to all the sheets on Dashboard 3.  Notice that the 4 data sheets on dashboard 3 get filtered to one of the 4 values.  And I made a copy of the cost type group field and added it to the detail shelf on the 4 data sheets on Dashboard 3.

My actions to the data sheets on Dashboard 3 pass one of the 4 calc values to the copy of Cost Type Group.  I also pass the [Cost Type] value in those 4 actions.

Now when Sales passes "Sales" into [Cost Type Group (copy)], three sheets have conflicts between the copy field and the filter field, so they end up empty.  Just the Sales Data sheet displays.  All 4 sheets work like this, so that only one at a time will display.  And I have set the action to "Exclude all values" when you clear the selection so that none of the 4 displays when nothing is selected.

Finally, Sheet 9.  I also pass one of the 4 values, but those actions say to "Show all values" when the selection is cleared.

So either 1 will end up on that sheet, or 4.  And I have a calc on that sheet to count how many are there.  if 1, don't show the sheet.  If more than 1, now that sheet gets shown (and the 4 actual data sheets will be blank.)

So right now we're getting one of the FIVE! sheets displaying appropriately.

This still doesn't address the grand total you want to do, but let me get you to digest what I did in there for now.

• 10. Re: Hide sheets in Tableau Server
                            Andrzej Gabryel

Dear Joe,

Thank you a lot for helping with hiding "You need to use actions"  text.

I am still trying to repair grand total issues, but I think it is impossible without creating additional tables for grand totals in Property and Sales Dashboards.

I think that I will go this way, although it will not look so good

Greetings

Andrzej Gabryel

• 11. Re: Hide sheets in Tableau Server
                              Joe Oppelt

Yes, you will need a separate sheet.

Question:  What version of Tableau are you running?

Before I show you what to do with the total sheet, let me point something out.  You'll notice that the collapsed sheets leave 9-pixel remnants.  You can eliminate those.  In this screen shot I have one of them selected.

There is a padding feature.  When Tableau puts objects into a container, it pads them by default like this.  You can click on one of those padding icons and change the value to zero.  (And when you do, by default it moves all the rest to zero.

Do that for all 5 objects.

The behavior of the positioning will be a lot better for you.

• 12. Re: Hide sheets in Tableau Server
                                Joe Oppelt

In the attached I made a sheet for "Other Total".  (You'll do the same for the other three.)  I added a [Grand Total] Calc to make my own calc.  You can see that we get the correct value.

Next copy:  I moved Cost type to Columns to change the shape.  I needed to change the table calc settings to get it to compute correctly.  Right click the table calc's triangle and select "Edit Table Calc".  This is my setting:

On the next sheet I took SUM(Cost) off text.  I made the table calc discrete (so it becomes a blue pill) and moved it to ROWS.

On the next sheet (4), I right clicked on [Cost Type] and unchecked Show Header.  I right clicked on the label "Grand Total" above the 3257 and selected "Hide field labels"

On sheet (5) I double clicked at the end of ROWS and that gives me a quasi editor.  In it I typed "Grand Total".  (Including the quotes.)  That makes a new pill that acts like a dimension.  I moved it to the front of ROWS.

On Sheet (6) I shrunk the size of the columns to it's very smallest.  And I chose color of white so the blue dots go away.  I extended the width of the text "Grand Total" column way out so that it approximates the shape of your Other data sheet.  (You can play with precise formatting.)

Now I have a sheet that contains all the Cost types and simulated a Grand Total row.  See Property Dashboard(2).  First I turned off totals on the "Other" sheet.  I'm going to add my own sheet instead.  To make things quicker for me, I floated "Other" and replaced it with a BLANK object so that the dashboard layout looks the same.

I dropped (floating) "Other" onto the dashboard, and I floated Grand Total(6) right below it.  Notice that it extends beyond the boundary of the dashboard.  When you publish this, the user won't see anything beyond the dashboard boundary.  This make it easy to "hide" the little remnant of the columns.  (Another option is to cover it with a small floating BLANK, and color the blank white so the user sees nothing.

Now, when the user clicks on the 3257, the three Cost Types are selected together on that row, and your action will pass all three to Dashboard 3.  Now look at the OTHER action on Property Dashboard 2.  It uses both the Other sheet and the Other Total sheet as the source.  Test it out.

You'll do the same for the other three sheets.

You don't have to float.  I just prefer working all my dashboards floating.  But you can tile them together on the dashboard instead, if that's your preferred style.

I saved this as 2018.1.  I asked earlier what version you're on because maybe I don't have to do export-as-version any more.

• 13. Re: Hide sheets in Tableau Server
                                  Andrzej Gabryel

Dear Joe,

Thank you a lot for your help. I am using the 2019.3 version of Tableau, but I am just about to switch into 2019.4.

I will work in a real data dashboard an incorporate this solution

You have really help me

Greetings

Andrzej