2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2020 1:31 PM by Frank Vahid Razaghzadeh

Changing Data Source from Extract to Live Error

Frank Vahid Razaghzadeh

Hi All

I am new to Tableau online and have a problem which I need to fix urgently. I created a workbook by connecting directly to Google Big Query as my data source. All the connection were live and I changed them to Extract in the Data source to speed the dashboards as they were running slow. Now when I go to each worksheet i the data source and try to change back to live from Extract  I get eh following error

when i go to edit and change the connection to use my credential and click on test it says it is connected successfully but when I change to Live I keep getting the above error.

I hope this makes sense and any help is appreciated

• 1. Re: Changing Data Source from Extract to Live Error
          David Browne

Hi Frank,

Was all the changing between live and extract done in the browser?

In terms of getting the workbook working again as a matter of urgency it might be best to download it, open it in Tableau Desktop and create an extract in Tableau Desktop and republish it.

David

• 2. Re: Changing Data Source from Extract to Live Error
            Frank Vahid Razaghzadeh

Hi David

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I  changed from the browser and it worked fine but when I want to change back it won't let me even if the credentials are right. Is this something I am doing wrong?

The problem is I have made the dashboards available and everyone in the company and it's really slow or does not load for some and I have a demo tomorrow to senior stakeholders and the Live is really slow or doesnt load up at all,  so if I change to extract would that work better. I am not familiarised wtith extract, does it have the whole data or does it just take a sample of data as I do not want to show incorrect information. We only update the data in GBQ once a week so will not need live connection, but want to make sure the Extract is the right way and then I refresh the data every time the source is updated.

Any help is appreciated it