3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2020 1:00 AM by Simon Runc

Hide and Show more then 1 worksheet on a Dashboard?

Abby Palcer

I have written several workbooks now that have dashboards that would hide and show sheets.  Everything I have done allows me to hide all worksheets and show 1 worksheets using the swap method. (Good examples of how I have swapped sheets in the past .. New series of videos on swapping and popping on a dashboard )    Is there  a way in tableau that I can hide worksheets and show more then 1 worksheet?  I am using 2019.4.

Instead of using a single select drop down, I would like to use a multi select drop down?  

• 1. Re: Hide and Show more then 1 worksheet on a Dashboard?
          Simon Runc

Interesting one. So while I can't think of a way using a dropdown, we can do this (just) using parameter actions. If you take a look at this awesome blog post from Jonathan you'll see the basic idea for appending values to a list in a parameter

Parameter Actions: Using a parameter as a data source | Drawing with Numbers

First I set up a datasource with the values 1,2,3 which just relate to the 3 sheets I want to show or hide, off the parameter datasource. I then create this formula in that datasource...

[Add to Parameter]

[Parameters].[Show Sheets] + [Show Sheets]

I create a sheet to act as the selector (Show Sheets) and add [Add to Parameter] to the level of detail of that sheet. I can then access this in a parameter action.

In another sheet I set up a reset button, and created this calculated field

[Show None]

''

which I add to the level of detail of that sheet, again so I can access via a parameter action. Now for the magic!

I set up 2 parameter actions, like so

and

I then created a calculated field in the main datasource which is just the parameter value

and finally I add this as a filter to each sheet, using contains...

This is the one for Sheet 1

I do the same, but the contains is 2, and again for 3 with contains is 3.

This is a very simple example, but could be extended ...hopefully that gives you an option. I've also left the Show Sheets parameter exposed so you can see what its all doing.

MultiSheet.gif

• 2. Re: Hide and Show more then 1 worksheet on a Dashboard?
            Abby Palcer

Wow, Thank you!! I have not see this example before.

I can use this.  

• 3. Re: Hide and Show more then 1 worksheet on a Dashboard?
              Simon Runc

My pleasure. Yes parameter actions are letting us do some pretty cool things. With a bit of time and polish I could see this being a very nice pattern. If you look at the blog example, adding and removing players ...you could create a really nice UI where the users select and deselect the sheets they want to see