5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2019 11:39 PM by frederic.spielmann.0

Tableau Server - Problem Connecting to License Server

Mavis Liu

Hi Guys!

Hoping you can help me, today we restarted our Tableau Server but we came across the issue where it told us it was unlicensed. We entered in the license key but it comes back with 'The Specified Product Key Was Not Found'.

I've checked this key and it doesn't expire until 2021.

The license manager isn't coming online:

2019-12-16_20h29_15.png

and it errors on the License Server:

2019-12-16_20h29_51.png

Currently waiting to hear back from Tableau Support, but I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this before?

For the time being - we're currently using a trial license and that seems to be okay...

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mavis

• 1. Re: Tableau Server - Problem Connecting to License Server
          Jeff Strauss

hi Mavis.  By chance is your server blocking access to the licensing component?  Have a look here under the licensing section.  Internet Access Requirements - Tableau

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau Server - Problem Connecting to License Server
            Mavis Liu

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply!

I believe those are allowed, we've just made an update - it was running under local service account and we've just changed this and it seems to connect to the License Server. But there are still a few issues when we restart, the backup just failed and we still can't generate the support logs.

The description for Event ID 4096 from source Tableau Server (Filestore) cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

2019-12-16 20:26:11.487 +0000 deletedFoldersReaperScheduler-1   ERROR : com.tableausoftware.tdfs.filestore.FileReconciliationService - Failed to reap folderId '{XXXXXX-XXXX-XXXXX-XXXX-XXXXX}' of type 'extract'

The description for Event ID 4096 from source Tableau Server cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The description for Event ID 4096 from source Tableau Server (Vizqlserver) cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

The following information was included with the event:

2019-12-16 20:51:35.090 +0000 scheduled-delete-dead-extract-sessions-1   ERROR requestId=: wgsessionId= com.tableausoftware.newrelic.jmx.JMXClient - Exception in loading app_name from Newrelic.yml file, NR thread interruptted: null

Would you be able to help deciper these messages?

Thanks,

Mavis

• 3. Re: Tableau Server - Problem Connecting to License Server
              Peter Fakan

Hi Mavis,

Out here in the Antipodes we sometimes have to try a few times to get the license connection running - once its up and running it seems stable though. Another option that has strangely worked for us is to go for a coffee while its registering, it sometimes 'magically' finds the connection if you give it a bit of time.

HTH

Peter

• 4. Re: Tableau Server - Problem Connecting to License Server
                mark santino

Hi Mavis -

In regard to the licensing, the messages you supplied appear to apply to the Backgrounder's failure to remove an outdated extract (Failed to reap folderId '{XXXXXX-XXXX-XXXXX-XXXX-XXXXX}' of type 'extract') . This isn't surprising if the Backgrounder has died, as you indicated. If you haven't already done so, at a minimum, and prior to applying the license to Tableau, I would try to access the various URLs related to the Licensing service. Check to make there aren't any proxy settings in the browser. That's a situation I commonly encounter. I would also try an offline activation.  https://help.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/activate.htm

Activate and Register Tableau Server - Tableau

Regards,

Mark ,,,,

• 5. Re: Tableau Server - Problem Connecting to License Server
                  frederic.spielmann.0

Hi Mavis,

1. Do you have a Run As User configured ?

2. Did you check the permissions on your host ? (if you have a RUA, I recommend to login with that user )

- Verify Tableau Service Settings - Tableau

- Verify Folder Permissions - Tableau

3. In the properties of "Tableau Server License Manager", if you change from "Local Service" to "Network Service" => Could you start the service ? (it could be related to a permission issue in "Local System Account"... I don't remember which one, but I'm pretty sure I already  saw something similar :-/ )

4. If there is an Antivirus or Backup and Recovery tool, make sure that Tableau Server is whitelisted.

5. Is the RUA password changed ? Just try to push it again in Tableau Server.

Regards,