5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2019 1:19 AM by frederic.spielmann.0

The TSM Web UI is not available until the upgrade is complete

Katharine Habgood

We have attempted to upgrade Tableau Server from 2019.3 to 2019.4. After downloading and running the update the server was requested to restart from the update GUI, and now attempting to log into the TSM gives the above message. The TSM Web UI is not available until the upgrade is complete. It is now 24 hours later, and same message is still there. Anyone know where to go from here?

What has been done:

An attempted repair of install has been run, this results in the same issue.

The Administrator Server Service agent has been stopped and started as well as the Tableau Server Service Manager. All Tableau Services are running (see below photo)

Permissions on the Service account have been checked, it is a domain admin, the server is domain joined

I have checked the log files, but there is nothing obvious in them.

History of this server, we were on a 2018.1 version, it was successfully updated to 2019.3 a few months ago. There have been no issues with this server, it is fairly new, it is Windows 2016 server, all available updates have been applied to the Windows server.

Thanks

• 1. Re: The TSM Web UI is not available until the upgrade is complete
          Brad Fair

Katharine,

Does this behavior still persist once the upgrade-tsm.cmd has been run from a command prompt with administrative permissions?

-- Brad

• 2. Re: The TSM Web UI is not available until the upgrade is complete
            Katharine Habgood

Thanks Brad

Running the upgrade-tsm.cmd has this error:

C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\packages\scripts.20194.19.1105.1444>upgrade-tsm.cmd

Upgrading Tableau Server to version 20194.19.1105.1444. See log file at C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\logs\app-upgrade.log for progress.

Install directory C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server

Config file: "C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\config\workgroup.yml"

ERROR: Data directory under "C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server" for version "20193.19.0913.2225" is corrupt. Canceling.

Is my only option to completely uninstall Tableau Server and re-install from fresh?

Many Thanks

• 3. Re: The TSM Web UI is not available until the upgrade is complete
              frederic.spielmann.0

Hi Katharine,

Just to get more insight, could you provide us the following information :

Open a command prompt as administrator :

1. tsm version

2. tsm status -v

3. To make sure the data directory was not handled by another process, could you confirm Tableau Server is whitelisted in your Antivirus ?

Improving Performance by Using Antivirus Exclusions : 
              https://kb.tableau.com/articles/howto/improving-performance-by-using-antivirus-exclusions

4. Do you have enough space on the disk ?

5. Did you uninstall TS 2019.3 already ? (It will explain why "upgrade-tsm.cmd" is failing with "data directory corrupt")
              If not, I will recommend to create a case for our Tech Support, but there is a chance a new installation will be needed.

Kind regards,

• 4. Re: The TSM Web UI is not available until the upgrade is complete
                Katharine Habgood

Hi Fredric

Thank you for your help, to answer some of your questions.

Here is the output for 1 & 2

3. We have already implemented exceptions for all Tableau files and folders in the anti Virus following Tableau's instructions.

4. There is more than enough disk space free, well over 100GB free

5. We have not uninstalled anything, the update instructions do not contain anything about uninstalling, so we haven't. They had a line on the update page: Uninstall - Uninstall works differently now as well. With version 2018.2 and later you do not need to uninstall until after you have upgraded Tableau.

Because we were upgrading from 2019.3 to 2019.4, I assumed this statement applied.

I am going to raise a Technical support case with Tableau, but I suspect that we will need to start from scratch. Which is not ideal but these things happen.

I will follow up my post, once I have dealt with Tableau Support.

Thank you very much for your help its very much appreciated,

• 5. Re: The TSM Web UI is not available until the upgrade is complete
                  frederic.spielmann.0

Hi Katharine,

Thank for all this information!

After rebooting the host, are you able to start Tableau Server ? (tsm start)
                  If yes, is Tableau Server Running, Degraded or in an Error State ?

I agree, I believe it will be probably better to create a support case.

Don't hesitate to mention them your previous information :
                  Tableau Server already whitelisted in Antivirus, TSM CLI Works, but not TSM Web UI, Tableau Server 2019.3 is still installed, current version 2019.4, the screenshot from the TSM Web UI.

They will also probably request the Tableau Servers logs

Kind regards,