0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2019 11:38 AM by Ed Freeman

"Show tabs" error when moving workbook project using API

Ed Freeman

Hi there,

I'm trying to move someone else's workbook using the https://help.tableau.com/current/api/rest_api/en-us/REST/rest_api_ref.htm#update_workbook API. I have View and Save access to both the original and destination project. I have the Explorer (Can Publish) site role. I have Move permissions on the workbook I'm trying to move. In other words, I'm doing everything it says in the "Move content" docs here: Permissions - Tableau.

Through the UI, it works fine. I click the ellipsis on the workbook, hit "Move", select the destination project, and the workbook moves successfully.

However, when trying to perform the operation through the API, I get the error:

<error code="403033">
          <summary>Forbidden</summary>
          <detail>'Ed.Freeman' isn't authorized to change whether workbook '<id>' should show tabs.</detail>
      </error>

Here's my request:

PUT {{host}}/api/3.2/sites/{{site_id}}/workbooks/{{workbook}}

Content-Type: application/json

X-Tableau-Auth: {{token}}

with the request body:

{
        "workbook": {
            "project": {
                "id": "<dest_project_id>"
            }
        }
      }

As you can see, I'm not specifying a value for the "showTabs" property in the request. According to the docs, the default value is false (but I'd rather there not be a value sent to the server for that at all, if possible).

What I've found is that if I'm given the "Set Permissions" capability on the workbook, I can perform the above request successfully.

Is there any way around this without having to have the Set Permissions capability? Or is there another API I can use to move a workbook to another project?

Thanks,

Ed