2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2019 12:24 PM by Nick Roush

Refresh only 1 of the datasources in a worksbook on server

Patrick Myles

I have a workbook with multiple data sources, all of which are local files except 1 which is an SQL db.  Once published on the server I want tableau to refresh the view which uses the SQL db on a daily basis and ignore the other data source as when i set them all to extracts the refresh tries to refresh them too breaking the process (as it's looking for local files)

The only way i have found to do this is when i publish the workbook, I set the local sources to 'live' and the SQL source to 'extract'.  this is fine, but I think it affects performance and Tableau is also reminding me to "...extracting multi-connection data sources for better performance....".

Any help?

Thanks!

Patrick

• 1. Re: Refresh only 1 of the datasources in a worksbook on server
          Krunal Patel

Hello Patrick,

You can achieve this using tabcmd. You need to install tabcmd on Tableau Server or any server that has access to Tableau Server and run the following command in Task Scheduler.

tabcmd refreshextracts --project "Sales External" --datasource sales_ds

Thank you,

Krunal

• 2. Re: Refresh only 1 of the datasources in a worksbook on server
            Nick Roush

Hello,

As mentioned by a previous post TabCmd is an option for published data sources, however i dont believe there is a way to trigger one specific data source if you publish them embedded in the workbook. You can also achieve this by checking Include External Files when publishing. This will take a copy of your local files and push them to Tableau Server and then Tableau Server will use these pushed files when it refreshes. The other option would be to publish your SQL db as a published data source. This separates it from the other extracts in the workbook and allows it to be run individually.

Nick