What version of Tableau Server are you using? This sounds like it could possibly be a limitation of the server role you are in. Depending on the version you're using the role names might be called something a bit different but this is a good place to start. Confirm that your assigned site role allows you to publish extracts:
We are using Server version: 2019.3.0 (20193.19.0913.2225) 64-bit Windows
As far as my role, it is set as "Server Administrator" with a Tableau Creator License
I have tried this from both MacOS Mojave as well as on the actual Windows Server itself (Windows Server 2016 Standard)
I tried it again today and even though I was able to create the extract, I am not able to publish it, except as part of the workbook that I used to create it .... which does not allow others (or myself) to reuse that extract from the Server. We end up publishing multiple extracts of the same datasource, one for each workbook...
Thanks for any thoughts!
My go to reference for this is Jonathan Drummey's blog - just google 'o extract where for art thou'. Probably add in 'Tableau' somewhere as well.
At first glance, it sounds like you might be in .twbx/.twb live/extract lala land, particularly if you are using a .twbx viz that you have published previously with the live connection to the database. This can be quite hard to undo, but I'd look at trying by sideloading the data source using Data > New data source (and setting the connection settings appropriately to your requirements), and then replacing the data in your vizzes using Data > Replace Data Source.
In advance, this can fry your aliases because in effect you are ripping the engine out and replacing it with another one, however once you are setup on extracts you should see a marked improvement in the performance of your vizzes.
ok, I will have a look. I started with a blank workbook to create the viz. In our tableau server environment, we have a project for all of the data connections, and create a single workbook for each connection, with nothing in them so that we can make updates to the connection and publish it as needed (add new calculated fields, remove fields, etc.). That then gets "automagically" pushed to all the workbooks using that connection.
The challenge for this particular connection is it is tens / near hundreds of millions of rows and is too slow to refresh for end users, so I want to create an extract of it ... however, I don't want to have "many" extracts of the same data connection floating around since that will confuse people and potentially lead to inconsistencies ... thus my desire to create a single extract that can be published and used by all! :-)
Off to google land! Thanks for the pointers Peter....