2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2019 5:47 PM by Ken Flerlage

fails to mapping using fips

Jaeho Jung

Hi,

I have a data with fips code, longitude, latidue, and county name in the form (ex, Autauga County, AL)

I tried to map the data, I see some counties are not mapped, and the Autuaga County is located outside the us continent (attached1, below).

Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 2.09.43 AM.png

So, I tried to use county's center coorinate to map county, but all I could get is the points, instead of mapped area (attached 2)

Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 2.11.26 AM.png

I wonder whether I can convert the points in attached2 as county area similar to attached 1.

My data looks like below

Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 2.14.47 AM.png

I attached a workbook file.

I really need some help to better use this new (for me) program.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: fails to mapping using fips
          Michael Gillespie

We really need to see your workbook to help.  From that screenshot, I have no idea what the Geoname column is supposed to be.  You have both County and State, and Tableau is not going to recognize that correctly.  You need to split that field into two separate fields.  Looking at your first screenshot, NOTHING in Alabama is being recognized - that's why.

There are likely other things you need to do as well but we can't tell without the workbook (twbx format).

• 2. Re: fails to mapping using fips
            Ken Flerlage

I just mapped your FIPS codes and get this:

Some FIPS codes start with 0 and those zeros have, somehow, been removed from your data. My guess is that you, at some point, brought this data into Excel and Excel saw them as numbers and removed the zeros. But we can use a calculated field to correct that.

FIPS Adjusted

// Add leading zeros where missing
            IF LEN(STR([Fips]))=4 THEN
                "0" + STR([Fips])
            ELSE
                STR([Fips])
            END

Change this new field's geographic role to "County" then you'll get this:

See attached.