4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2019 6:41 AM by Jim Dehner

Incorrect trasformation of a number into a date

Noemi Cecchini

Hi everyone,

I am almost new on this platform.

I have two different columns in my excel file: one for the month (written as January, February, ...) and one for the year (2015,...)

When I connect the data-source I am facing the following problems:

1- Tableau displays "2,015" instead of 2015

2- when I merge the two columns the year is displayed correctly but the distinction between the different months vanishes and all the months become as if they were January

I tried to change the properties and customise the format number or with some calculation but nothing changes...

Thank you in advance for your help

Noemi

• 1. Re: Incorrect trasformation of a number into a date
          Jim Dehner

good morning

Tableau does its best guess on the data type as you load the data set

your data has a Month name and a number   not a date

Tableau reads the number as a number and defaults the format to an integer comma at thousands

just right click the pill and select default format and reset it

the month is read as a string (text)

when you combine the "Month and Years" in a single excel column tableau reads it as a date and cast it as a Date

I would recommend to bring in DATEs or convert them dates in tableau - dates self sequence, sort and allow the use of date functions

strings and numbers follow different runles

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Incorrect trasformation of a number into a date
            selva kumar

Hi Noemi,

Your reference..

Thanks

selva..

• 3. Re: Incorrect trasformation of a number into a date
              Noemi Cecchini

Thank you selva kumar and Jim Dehner for the fast feedback!

I have solved the problem regarding the format of the number but the other problem still remains open:

as you can see from the picture, once I change the datatype in a date, the result is that it attributes the first day of the month and January as month to all the years.

I tried to solve  this problem using this calculation DATEPARSE('yyyy',STR([year])) but it gives null as result.

I know that I do not have a day to connect to each year (so that it cannot be seen as a real date) but do you maybe know

- if I could match the month´column with the year so that at least I have the corresponding month

-or how to transform the number into a date, keeping the year only?

Thank you very much

Regards

Noemi

• 4. Re: Incorrect trasformation of a number into a date
                Jim Dehner

You have't made the conversion of the string and the number yet

this will convert the month to a number (once you cast it as a date)

this will convert the 2 fields and 01 for the first day of the month to a date

it returns this

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.