2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2019 10:57 AM by Vipin Yadav

Filter multi-select question by multi-select question in survey data

Vipin Yadav

Hi community,

I am working on a survey data with a slightly different structure as compared to normal surveys. I want to filter one single select question by two multi-select questions i.e. 3 comparisons in total. Currently each of the options of the multi-select questions are in different columns. See screenshot below:

I tried pivoting all the multi-select questions and used it in the calculation but was not getting accurate results. Could anyone suggest any other alternative on how to approach this without pivoting the multi-select questions?

Attaching a sample workbook with the original structure.

Thanks,

Vipin

• 1. Re: Filter multi-select question by multi-select question in survey data
          Stephen Rizzo

Unpivoting your data would definitely be best practice here. It may be considerably more difficult, if not impossible, to create some of the visualizations you want with your data in this format.

With that said, if all you need to do is filter one question's results based on two other questions' responses, you could presumably

1. Add each response field as a separate filter for each of the two multi-select questions you want to filter by
          2. Display side-by-side response counts for each of the response fields for the single-select question
          • 2. Re: Filter multi-select question by multi-select question in survey data
            Vipin Yadav

Hi Stephen,

Thank you so much for your response.

I am able to get what you are saying, it will be difficult to build visualization from this structure. Also, I agree, unpivoting the data is the best option. As I have already mentioned, unpivoting all the multi-select questions is not giving accurate results. But I was able to find a solution, i.e. unpivoting each multiselect questions individually, by this I have one single field for each of the question. After that, I created 3 parameters to make the comparisons, and all results were accurate, so finally solved it. Also very easy now to make charts as well.

I really appreciate your response