2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2019 1:17 AM by Virginia Moench

How to measure student progression

cindy baker

Without a specific field available, I'd like to know how people are measuring student progression from Freshman > Sophomore > Junior > Senior.

We'd like to ask questions similar to: how many students moved on to the next year? Didn't? Dropped out? Didn't finish in four years? If not four years then how long? We don't have any one field that measures whether a student progressed as expected so I'm curious to know how others might be measuring this? Are you using a proxy? Have you developed a formula(s)? Combination of hours passed and another field? Other ways?

We use the typical Freshman I, Freshman II, etc designations. Freshman I is 0-15 hours completed, Freshman II is 16-30 hours completed, etc.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How to measure student progression
          Christine Alexander

Hi Cindy,

I've attempted to measure this by creating calculations based upon the students' entry terms and the terms at which we expect

them to reach sophomore status, junior status, etc.  We're a Banner school and have our term codes set up as 6 digit strings (fall 2018 is 201810, fall 19 is 201910).

For instance, the entry term for the cohort entering last fall is 201810.  We'd expect them to reach sophomore status by 201810+100=201910; junior status should be

201810+200=202010, etc.  Using those term calculations as milestones, I can then check for registration and/or GPA activity for those terms to flag them as here/not here.  

I do a similar thing to calculate graduation rate.

Chris

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to measure student progression
            Virginia Moench

I have done this in the past using a few calculations.

1) I identified the number of hours a student has at the end of each term using a LOD calculation (let's name it Hours EOT 201810):

{FIXED [Student]: IF [Term] = "201810" THEN MAX ([Earned Hours])}

2) Next, I used another calculation to group them (let's name it Calculated Level 201810):

IF [Hours EOT 201810] < 30 THEN "Freshmen"

ELSEIF [Hours EOT 201810] >= 30 AND [Hours EOT 201810] < 60 THEN "Sophomore"

etc...

3) Once I have 2+ terms of data I can write a calculation that compares levels from term to term. 

IF [Calculated Level 201810] = "Freshman" AND [Calculated Level 201910] = "Sophomore"

OR [Calculated Level 201810] = "Sophomore" AND [Calculated Level 201910] = "Junior"

OR [Calculated Level 201810] = "Junior" AND [Calculated Level 201910] = "Senior" THEN "Progressed"

ELSEIF [Calculated Level 201810] = [Calculated Level 201910] THEN "Did Not Progress"

END

Of course, you have to write an "OR" line for every possible combination...like a student who progressed from a freshman to a junior.  There is probably an easier way to do it, but I have not explored other approaches.

If you wanted to look at dropouts and/or graduates then you'd have to work in some additional fields/calculations.

2 of 2 people found this helpful