4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2019 3:16 AM by Jim Dehner

is the filter a dimension filter or  a measure filter?

Xiaoxu Liu

See the  attachment since filter Sub-Category is functional with Top 5 with Sum Sales, is it a dimension filter or a measure filter. the reason I want to know this is because I want to know the order operation

• 1. Re: is the filter a dimension filter or  a measure filter?
          Jim Dehner

good morning

if you just create a filter on sub-cat and go to the Top tab to set the filter it is executed here  

and you would get this  - the top 5 overall subcats

if you created a rank on sales like this

and filtered for the top 5 like this

you would get the top 5 by segment

good observation on your part that TOP5 in the first case is happening above the dimension filters

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: is the filter a dimension filter or  a measure filter?
            Xiaoxu Liu

thanks for your answers, let me make sure , what is a dimension filter

• 3. Re: is the filter a dimension filter or  a measure filter?
              Michael Gillespie

If the field comes from the section labelled Dimensions, it's a dimension filter.

That's a little simplistic but it's a good place to start.  In reality you can't always tell based on that test.

If you're filtering on a category of some kind (so, only show me data for Furniture, and not for Office Supplies or Technology), then you have a Dimension filter.

On the other hand, if you have a list of names in a Dimension column called "Names", and there are lots of repeating values in that column (lots of Michaels), and you filter that column by the COUNT() of the dimension values in that column (COUNT(Names)>), then you're using a dimension field to perform a Measure filter.  The key is that we're counting or summing or averaging something.  That's what makes it a Measure filter.

• 4. Re: is the filter a dimension filter or  a measure filter?
                Jim Dehner

Not so

dimensions come from the data - they  categorize the data   -   like State or City,  Customer Name  -    Measures are the data itself   =  e.g  in Chicago (city dimension) there were 8000 units (quantity - measure) sold

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.