5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2019 6:28 AM by Jim Dehner

Preserve geolocation point from any filter

mbah mbul

Hi,

how can I preserve a value in a field (e.g. target city) which has been selected from any filter in the sheet

for example, here i select wonosobo as targeting city that have -100 tonase(sisa)

then i tried to add filter tonase(sisa) and filter only from 0 to 100 value , but then my selected city point is gone

can somebody help me with this

I tried with actions/filters and couldn't get it done...any tips/ideas?

Thanks a lot!

• 1. Re: Preserve geolocation point from any filter
          Jim Dehner

Good morning

I am sorry I don't have language skills -I think you are trying to calculate the distance between 2 point - the new release 2019.3 has a Distance formula that would simplify the actual calculation- you can do this with sets and set actions -  Sarah Battersby demonstrated how to do this at the last conference - her file is attached - see the tab "Near By Starbucks"  - I also keep a solution on my tableau public site that uses a slightly different approach  to identify the client locations within a radius of any of several office locations - it is located at Tableau Public

and includes How to   instructions   - it returns this   - feel free to download it to use as an example - that is why it is posted there

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Preserve geolocation point from any filter
            mbah mbul

thankyou for your answer Jim Dehner , but that wasn't what i want , i've aleardy calculate my distance and it work, now the problem is i can't especially preserve my selected point location from any filter in the sheet , so it must always visible even when i filter it's value

• 3. Re: Preserve geolocation point from any filter
              Jim Dehner

OK I understand a bit better now

you can not filter out data and still have it visible - filtering limits the data in the data table that underlays the individual worksheet - but you can place the point IN a set - sets just create an IN and Out classification but do not eliminate data from the data table -  so you can have a selected point and all other points in the viz at the same time - that is what Sarah has done in her example previoousl posted

Jim

• 4. Re: Preserve geolocation point from any filter
                mbah mbul

so you mean that i have to create set for what i selected and exclude it from filter Jim Dehner ?

or can you edit my workbook?

• 5. Re: Preserve geolocation point from any filter
                  Jim Dehner

Sorry - I get lost in the language in your book - (that's my limited language skills )  but if you follow the model that Sarah set you will see she uses a "Selected Location"  in a set and then uses set actions to move the point In and Out of the selected set - but plots all the points (both in and out of set)

Maybe someone with better language skills could help you  (I just can't follow the dimensions/measures in your book)

Jim