5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2019 5:45 AM by Soumitra Godbole

Monthly KPI comparision

ucant findme

Hi Everyone,

I am pretty much new to tableau and Started exploring since 3 days.

I got an opportunity to work on a scenarios to calculate the Monthly KPI where it should show the latest month in Green or Red based on the comparison between the current and last month

on the number if tickets .

Also, the user wants to filter which should have Year, Month , Quarter and Day in it.

and also Separate Year and month filter init. As soon the user select the year , this should show 2018,2019,2020 etc.

for the quarter it should show 2018Q1 till 2019Q4 and so on.

How do I achieve this. Please suggest.

Attached is the dummy spreadsheet for your reference.

• 1. Re: Monthly KPI comparision
          Jim Dehner

Have you found Tableau's free on-line video training at  Tableau Training: View Training Courses

excellent training resource will take you from getting started through advanced calcualtions

Jim

• 2. Re: Monthly KPI comparision
            ucant findme

Thanks for the quick response sir. I have to deliver the dashboard in 2 days.

Any quick solution that you could give at this point of time based on the attached spread sheet?

Thanks for all your support.

• 3. Re: Monthly KPI comparision
              Soumitra Godbole

Hello there ????,

I may not find you but you can always find me here ! I hope the 2 days are not up

as yet and you won't need ANOTHER 48 HRS . Please find my Solution which was made

in a hurry up so it does not look as appealing (but does seem to work).

Solution.png

As you can see above, I have added some fictitious data for the year 2018 in addition to your data.

This was to ensure the formulas and filters work correctly. I created a Date Period Parameter for

Year, Quarter & Month. When you select a specific Date Period (Year/Quarter/Month) the values for

the Select Date filter automatically change to the appropriate values/units based on your selection

The Parameter and 4 main calculated fields are shown below. I hope you were able to go through

training videos suggested by Jim in the earlier post and tried to create some of the visuals from the

instructions given.

Parameter:

Parameter.png

Calculated Fields:

Formula 1.png

Based on the Parameter selection, the Date Units will automatically come into being

Formula 2.png

The above is a useful Table Calculation that does the calculation first and so filtering does

not alter the result to be displayed.

Formula 3.png

Another Table calculation that displays the previous value (since our comparison is only with

the previous month)

Formula 4.png

This is the color field that shows a Red or Green if the Current Month No of Tickets is less than

or more than the previous month value. The reason for NULL is if we do not have data for a

previous month then we cannot really say if it has increased or decreased ie Green or Red.

Also here are screenshots for each scenario

Scenario 1 - Data for the Year 2019

Dashboard 1.png

Scenario 2 - Data for the Quarter Q2 in 2018

Dashboard 2.png

Scenario 3 - Data for the Month 11 (Nov) in 2019

Dashboard 3.png

I have also attached the excel spreadsheet below, along with twbx file (packaged workbook ver 10.5).

Hope you find the above walk through useful and entertaining. Thanks !

Sincerely,
              Soumitra

• 4. Re: Monthly KPI comparision
                ucant findme

Thank you so much for the solution and the wonderful explanation.

This is motivating me to explore more on tableau.

On Sunday, 22 September 2019, Soumitra Godbole <tableaucommunity@tableau.com>

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Monthly KPI comparision
                  Soumitra Godbole

Hello ???? (John Doe )

Glad to know it was useful and do let me know if you need any modifications

or further enhancements to the given solution. Best of luck with the Tableau exploration.

Lastly in case this answers your question, please mark as helpful, correct answer. Thanks !

Sincerely,

Soumitra