3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2019 2:56 AM by Jonas Eckhardt

Extract API and cross-platform

Nikita Verkhovin

Hello!

I'm developing a software, which processes and generates a lot of accounting data in tabular form.

Now I want to develop some integration with Tableau Online to allow software's users to upload the data to users' own Tableau Online sites.

I already have investigated possibility to use Extract API to make Tableau Data Extracts (to .hyper) and upload it to Tableau Online through Rest API.

The software is crossplatform as it is working on JVM, so it is very inconvenient for me to use Tableau's Extract API, which is extremely platform specific (it is hard to provide every user with specific installation, containing corresponding version of Extract API, suitable for his operation system).

Are there any alternatives or workarounds to use Extract API on many platforms (i am interested in Windows, Ubuntu Linux, Mac OS)?

• 1. Re: Extract API and cross-platform
          Jonas Eckhardt

Hi Nikita,

unfortunately, the Extract API comes with a package per platform (Windows, Linux, macOS). This is because the Extract API package contains a Hyper binary which is needed to create the .hyper files. And hyper is a native application that we build for each platform individually.

You might want to try our pre-release of the new Hyper API (the successor of the Extract API). With the all-new Hyper API, Developers can now utilize full CRUD support at Hyper-speed and unleash the power of SQL to interact with .hyper files.

To get access to the pre-release, you need to join the Tableau Develop Program. If you are not part of the Developer Program yet, register here and join the “Developer Program Sprint Demos!” under “AVAILABLE OPPORTUNITIES”. Then, go here for more information on Hyper API features, supported languages and platforms.

Thanks

Jonas

• 2. Re: Extract API and cross-platform
            Nikita Verkhovin

Hi Jonas,

Thank you for your reply!

I have taken a look at the Hyper API description you have referred to. Unfortunately, it seems that it has the same problem as the Extract API: it is platform specific. Using it, I have to build three versions of my software, each containing specific jar to corresponding OS.

So if we have no other options with Hyper, then Can I use the old *.tde format in order to package my data and send to Tableau Online server? I mean *.tde is just xml-like file, right? So may be I can build it by myself somehow (using some xml builder API).   

And if I can, will tableau support *.tde files in the future?

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Extract API and cross-platform
              Jonas Eckhardt

Hi Nikita,

that won't help as the Tableau SDK (which enables you to create TDE files) also comes with a platform-specific binary. TDE files (as well as .hyper files) both are proprietary formats.

Thanks

Jonas