2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2019 7:53 AM by Tony Meier

Better Tableau Server Health Monitoring?

Tony Meier

Has anyone come up with a better way to monitor TSM instances of Tableau Server?  Prior to TSM, we had a in house application that would look at the Windows services and alert if a service is not running.  Now that the TSM is a service rather than the individual topology components, its very rare for the TSM service to go down but still have hiccups where the gateway or backgrounder will act up but will only get a notification when it recovers, not when it was down.

• 1. Re: Better Tableau Server Health Monitoring?
          Santhosh Sekar

Dear Tony,

We cannot use the in house application which you already have to alert us if any services goes down post TSM?if so, we cannot continue the same?

Also can you let me know how you created the in house application which keeps looking for the services running and alert in case of any failures.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Better Tableau Server Health Monitoring?
            Tony Meier

Hi Santhosh,

The reason the in house application does not work anymore is the application would look at the Windows services that would run Tableau.  If the service status was not "Running" it would send attempt to start the service or send a notification to our administrator team to investigate.

The reason this no longer works is since the TSM upgrade, the tableau services all are running even if the TSM is stopped so our service monitoring application will never trigger.

I was not involved with the development of the application so not sure exactly how it runs but I would imagine it queries services set to Automatic and sends notifications if not running.