6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2019 3:42 PM by Jim Dehner

How to drill down postal codes on vector maps

Kyle Yates

Hi,

I am trying to use a filter to drill down a list of postal codes in a country and am able to filter but I'm wondering, how do I drill down on a postal code using a vector map in Tableau 2019.2.3 on a dashboard?

• 1. Re: How to drill down postal codes on vector maps
          kevin flerlage

Hey Kyle, can you be more specific as to what you are trying to do?  You mentioned drilling down, are you wanting to drill down by clicking on the map?  Should it start at the state level, then drill down to postal code?  Also, could you provide a sample twbx?

• 2. Re: How to drill down postal codes on vector maps
            Jim Dehner

Are you trying to drill down to zip just using sample data or do you have a data set with a hierarchy that goes to the zip level? 

Tableau will recognize postal codes as point spatial data -  if you want to look at area (polygon)  yo will need to download the spatial data associated with that -

your best source is Tiger data - US census bureau - be aware the file is very large

enjoy the weekend

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 3. Re: How to drill down postal codes on vector maps
              Michael Gillespie

When you say "drill down on a postal code", what exactly do you mean?  Do you want to click on the polygon that represents the outline of the postal code and drill one level DEEPER than that?

Do you have geocoded data at a lower level in your dataset?  If that's what you want to do (for example, click on a postal code and show the individual street addresses of the entities within that postal code) you'll have to get the lat/long values for each street address yourself.  Tableau does not automatically geocode to that level of detail.

If that's not what you mean, can you give a specific example of what you want to do?

• 4. Re: How to drill down postal codes on vector maps
                Kyle Yates

Hey Kevin, I am using a postal code filter as a single value dropdown. I'm trying to enable clicking on the postal code in the dropdown to take the user directly to the postal code.

Unfortunately do not have a sample I can show.

• 5. Re: How to drill down postal codes on vector maps
                  Kyle Yates

My intention is to use a single value dropdown filter of postal codes and be able to click on a postal code(in the dropdown) so it can take the user to the selected postal code. This is just the postal code itself, streets and highways layer is disabled.

• 6. Re: How to drill down postal codes on vector maps
                    Jim Dehner

Hi Kyle

You can accomplish that BUT   the map pin MUST be released

I had quite a go-around with a client on this issue - if you pin the map and change the zip the map view tcan not  pan but ends up with a blank  or not where you want - (

if the pin is released then the map will pan to the new location

I had a similar issue with the workbook on my public site - where I was trying to identify within a given radius of their several plants

see  Tableau Public

this is done without pinning the map but you can select the office location from a filter (that is noting more than a point long and lat)

the radius filter works as a zoom in feature  - which becomes important - if the user tries to zoom in with the mouse it will reset the pic and you are back to the original problem

feel free to down load the boo - it has how to instructions

the output looks like this

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful