1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 12, 2019 7:39 AM by Jim Dehner

How to name date ranges as a parameter in Tableau?

Renson Bruckman

Hello there,

I have been searching and searching, but have come up short with a video or answer from the community with the problem I am having.

Currently, I only have Google Analytics data connected to Tableau. I would like to create a dropdown menu (Parameter) that would give me a list of period names that are associated with a date range.

For example:

Value: 12/29/2018-02/01/2019

Show as: Period 1-2019

Value: 02/02/2019-03/01/2019

Show as: Period 2-2019

In the parameter section, I would want to be able to pick one of these periods and have the data in my dashboard adjust to the date ranges defined in this parameter.

Is this possible or am I dreaming too hard?

Thank you if anyone can assist!

• 1. Re: How to name date ranges as a parameter in Tableau?
          Jim Dehner

Good morning

Parameters are the way users can select from a pre established list of values - they are static and only change when the user manually changes them - they don't do anything until they are included in a calculaation or a filter -

you would need to create a list - you are suggesting a string list either manually or from a field (or clipboard copy)

and then use the parameter in a formula  to filter the data

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.