1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 12, 2019 4:40 AM by Chris McClellan

Tabcmd get workbook

Steven Griffiths

Hi I have just started looking at using Tabcmd to automate a number of tasks and formulate a number of ideas.

Our current set up

We publish a data source (published separately) to tableau server, then open up tableau desktop 10.5 connect to data source on tableau server, create our viz, then upload workbook as a twb. Then the data source is updated via the scheduler.

We may have a number of users that don't have access to the server and therefore one option is to send them a twbx (with data embedded) file so that they can open in tableau reader.

I was hoping that i could run Tabcmd to generate twbx (data embedded) and send them out.

The command i found is not really doing what i would like and therefore need some help.

Workbook called XYZ and it was uploaded into tableau server as mentioned above.

When i come to run the following command i get a twb (no embedded data) even though it has a .twbx file extension. I was hoping putting .twbx in the command would turn the twb file, that was uploaded to tableau server, into a twbx with embedded data.

tabcmd get "/workbooks/XYZ.twbx" -f "C:\test4.twbx" (using get rather than export based off a tableau presentation i watched)

Is there anyway i can export/get a twbx (with data embedded) using the command prompt from the twb that is in tableau server.

If the above is not clear please ask me for additional information

Many Thanks

Steven

• 1. Re: Tabcmd get workbook
          Chris McClellan

Steven Griffiths wrote:

We may have a number of users that don't have access to the server and therefore one option is to send them a twbx (with data embedded) file so that they can open in tableau reader.

Just be very careful with this bit, you might be violating the T&Cs of your license agreement.