2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2019 5:48 AM by Frank Brenner

Connecting files with country names from different languages

Frank Brenner

Hello everybody,

I need some help with the following task: I want to connect two csv (Daten.csv and Income.csv) files which contain data on country level. Both files are held very basic - one row with the country name and one row with data values.

Daten.csv is coming from a German website, therefore names in the first row are in German:

Daten_German.PNG

Income_per_person_gdp.csv is coming from an English website, therefore names in the first row are in English:

Daten_English.PNG

Tableau can handle both files seperately very well and recognize the country level data and build maps from the data, but I can't seem to connect both datasets.

My current Workaround is including a third table ("Ländernamen") which is translating the Country names between German and English, but I guess there must be a better way of solving this.

Tableau_Connect_CountryNames.PNG

Is there any function in Tableau, that is able to connect both data sets with automatically knowing, that "Italy" = "Italien" and "Iraq" = "Irak", etc ...

Kind regards,
      Frank

• 1. Re: Connecting files with country names from different languages
          Don Wise

Hi Frank,

I don't know of an automatic translation type function, no.  You could probably accomplish this with using 'Create Join Calculation' found at the bottom of the join view:

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 10.02.07 AM.png

Then a CASE calculation in the new dialog box that opens up, similar to the following screenshot.  In this example, you'd use the German Field Name for Country from your Daten.csv.

You'll (unfortunately) need to spell it out for each country.  But, once it's done, it's done:

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 10.04.04 AM.png

You'd join this to the English named-field thereafter in your Income.csv.  Best, Don

• 2. Re: Connecting files with country names from different languages
            Frank Brenner

Hi Don,
            thank you for helping.

Your solution is more or less exactly what I am currently doing with my workaround table "Ländernamen" - it is a list of countries with the names in English and German.

However, Tableau understands German and English country names itself without the need of translation, so it should be able to solve this problem without using a translation table / Translation join calculation ...
            Kind regards,
            Frank