9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2019 3:26 PM by Nuria C

Butterfly Chart Combined with Stacked Bars

Nuria C

Hi...! I'm tryng to produce a chart that it's a Butterfly chart but combined with Stacked Bars.  If you take a look at the image, right now both sides of the butterfly have the same information.  I'm using the filters, so on the Left Side I can show some entries, but when I modify something in this filter from the left side, also changes on the right side, and I need to show different information in both sides and the filter does not allow me to manage it.  Any idea how to resolve this...?   Thank you.

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-09 at 19.06.01.jpeg

• 1. Re: Butterfly Chart Combined with Stacked Bars
          Naveen B

Hi nuria,

if you want to show the 3 measures in left and 3 measures in right then you need to go for 2 sheets.

OR

else you need to pivot the data

Check this link:

https://www.kenflerlage.com/2018/06/pivoting.html

Hope this helps

BR,

NB

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Butterfly Chart Combined with Stacked Bars
            Nuria C

Hi Naveen,

Thank you very much for your reply.  Unfortunately your answer does not help me at all.... Sorry...!!!!!!!!

I'm going to explain the problem again:

I have a Butterfly Chart with Stacked Bars.  The problem is with my Butterfly chart.  If you see the image, I have the same information in both sides of the butterfly.  By my goal is to be able to show the results of the UPC SURVEY on one side, and the other results (USC SURVEY) on the other side of the butterfly.  The problem is that I'm doing something wrong and I can't control the information of the right side.  the filter works the same for both sides.  So if I hide information from the left side, also disappear from the right side.  In the left side I want to see the UPC SURVEY so I try to hide information from the USC SURVEY, and then this info dissapears from the right side when is here that I really want to see this USC SURVEY in this right side. For this reason right now my chart looks symmetrical.  The link that you provided yesterday does not resolve my problem.  However, in your message you talk about "2 SHEETS'...  what do you want to say...?  Do you have any information to look at...?  To be honest, I wonder if I can insert two independent charts and then connect them with a butterfly chart.  Likely in this way I would be able to see different information on both sides...?  I'm new with TABLEAU, so sorry for the lack of knowledge.

Thank you...!!!!!

• 3. Re: Butterfly Chart Combined with Stacked Bars
              John Sarantos

Hi Nuria,

Any chance you can either share your packaged workbook (if it doesn't have proprietary data) or a mock up using superstore or something?

It might help us understand what you're trying to achieve.

Thank you,

John

• 4. Re: Butterfly Chart Combined with Stacked Bars
                John Sarantos

Hi Nuria,

Is this on the right track?

I've included a packaged workbook so you can see what I've done.  Essentially, instead of a combined Measure Values, I have a separate pill for each measure.

Please let me know if this helped/answered your question!

Thank you,

John

• 5. Re: Butterfly Chart Combined with Stacked Bars
                  Nuria C

Hi John,

Find attached a workbook file with the content of the chart.   Based on the file and the attached image, what I need to do is to see only (OPTION 1 SURVEY 1 & OPTION 1 SURVEY 2 & OPTION 1 SURVEY 3) on the LEFT side. And also I need to see only  (OPTION 2 SURVEY 1 & OPTION 2 SURVEY 2 & OPTION 2 SURVEY 3) on the right side of the butterfly.  Now, because of the filters, I see all the options in  both sides of the chart. 

Than you very much...!!!!!!!!!

N

• 6. Re: Butterfly Chart Combined with Stacked Bars
                    John Sarantos

Hi Nuria,

Like Naveen suggested earlier, you should pivot your data.

After you've pivoted, you will have two new fields, one called Pivot Field Names, and another called Pivot Field Values.

I created  calculated fields to break out the values for Option 1 and Option 2 into different measures:

Option 1 Values

iif(contains([Pivot Field Names],'OPTION 1'),[Pivot Field Values],NULL)

Option 2 Values

iif(contains([Pivot Field Names],'OPTION 2'),[Pivot Field Values],NULL)

Then, I dragged Option 1 to the left of Zero axis, and Option 2 to the right,and  reversed the axis for Option 1.

I dragged Pivot Filed Names to colors for the Marks cards for Option 1 and Option 2, removed it from the Marks card for Zero Axis, and left Text for Item only on Zero axis.

I've reattached the workbook for reference.

• 7. Re: Butterfly Chart Combined with Stacked Bars
                      Nuria C

OMG...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You GOT IT...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your HELP...!!!!!!!!!!

• 8. Re: Butterfly Chart Combined with Stacked Bars
                        John Sarantos

Hi Nuria,

I'm glad I was able to help!  Can you please mark my last response as the correct answer to close out the post?

Thank you,

John

• 9. Re: Butterfly Chart Combined with Stacked Bars
                          Nuria C

Indeed...!!!

Again -- Thank you very much for your help...!!!!!!!

N