2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2019 12:13 PM by Jim Dehner

how to get a newbie started

Brenda Frankenhoff

I am mentoring a young single mother of 2 who wants to make a career change.  She is interested in data and specifically visualization.  She is currently a dental assistant and is "fried" with the culture of the dental industry.  She only has the associates degree and does not have the resources to go back for a full four year degree.  does anyone know of a bootcamp that could get her started to get into basics and then possibly land a job that would pay for the bachelors?  Most analytics certificates require a bachelors and are at the masters level.  I would love to help her get started.  I am going to work with her on tableau public a bit and show her the tutorials.  She has not taken math since high school  (yes I know some poor decisions, but we are looking for leveraging her growth at this point.)  Any recommendations would be super helpful!  we are in the Cincinnati area.  (she actually lives about 1.5 hours east of the city so again, limited resources.)   This might be a pipe dream, but I want to see if I can help her if this is something she is really willing to work for!

• 1. Re: how to get a newbie started
          Kristin Fitzpatrick

Are there any certificate programs nearby in data viz? A quick search turned up this: Data Analytics Certificate Curriculum | University of Cincinnati

Certificate programs are usually in the evening and/or online (University of Washington Continuing Education often offers both versions for a program) and are targeted at career changers.

I'm sure it's not easy with 2 young kids, but if she could get someone to watch them, taking in-person courses are a great way to network (the best way to get that first position in a new career) and put your head into the field. Doing it at home on your own is possible, but with young kids it's hard to find dedicated time.

Best of luck to her! I made the shift when our son was young, but I was probably helped by having a tech background already. The more she can spend face-to-face time with others in the field (or moving into it), the better.

• 2. Re: how to get a newbie started
            Jim Dehner

Suggest you reach out the Cincy Tableau Users Group - one of the leaders also teaches at UC and may know of specific programs in the area

Good luck

Jim