6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2019 5:22 AM by Dipashri Ambre

Receiving multiple mails on single schedule

Dipashri Ambre

Hi,

We are using Vizalerts to send the mails,but instead of receiving one mail we are receiving 3 mails. I have created one schedule - Monday 5.30 pm.As per the schedule the mail should be received at 5.30 ,every thing works fine ,but we are receiving multiple mails. All the mails contain the same data,so as per vizalerts it must send only one mail.

Mail body contains a simple string,and the mail contains pdf attachment.(attachment also has the same data).

No idea why we are getting multiple mails .Can any one help on this?

Thanks in advance !!

• 1. Re: Receiving multiple mails on single schedule
          Jonathan Drummey

Hi,

Per the VizAlerts documentation on consolidation user_guide.md you need the Consolidate Lines field in the view and the Subject, To, From, Cc, and Bcc fields must all be exactly the same. Without seeing your alert trigger view then we can't inspect the view to see if there's something different.

Jonathan

• 2. Re: Receiving multiple mails on single schedule
            Dipashri Ambre

Thankyou for your reply, much appreciated.

I have used consolidate lines field ,but still I receive two mails with exactly same data (From my understanding we use consolidate lines when we want to combine multiple mails, however from my trigger view it should send only one mail)

In Email body the view must return the countd of devices for a particular date .(i.e if my view has 4 different devices ,in email body it must display - 4 devices were ordered)
            I receive the mail saying - 4 devices were ordered on [ date ], but two times with 10 mins gap !

Also all the fields - Subject, To, From, Cc, and Bcc are exactly same .

• 3. Re: Receiving multiple mails on single schedule
              Jonathan Drummey

So what you're getting are two separate emails 10 minutes apart? In that case that's not something to do with consolidate lines, that's indicating that the alert has multiple subscriptions. You'll need a Tableau Server admin to review your subscriptions.

Jonathan

• 4. Re: Receiving multiple mails on single schedule
                Dipashri Ambre

I have checked it though, the view has only one subscription ,also there is only one entry of that view in the config workbook. Its not always that mails receive 10 mins apart, sometimes they are received 20 mins apart.

Also I am facing another issue ,I have one dashboard which is subscribed to 15 mins frequency schedule, but sometimes I receive those mails with 10 mins frequency.

• 5. Re: Receiving multiple mails on single schedule
                  Jonathan Drummey

Hi,

The 20 minute interval is a clue, thank you. I'm guessing that you're seeing for intervals is something like 15, 20, 10, 15, is that correct? In that case then I'm pretty sure what you're seeing is that VizAlerts is taking so long to fully process one or more alerts that every once in awhile it's missing the scheduled time for an alert and then picking up that alert 5 minutes later, so instead of a 15 minute interval you're seeing a 20 minute interval. And then by the time the next alert is due to be processed VizAlerts is caught up so that becomes a 10 minute interval.

In that case what you'll need to do is review the VizAlerts logs, they will show what alerts are taking more time to process, whether that time is due to rendering in Tableau Server or in VizAlerts processing & sending emails, and what alerts are being held up. If Tableau Server is slow to render and that is blocking views then the guidelines are #1 to improve the Tableau workbook performance (see Best Practices For Designing Efficient Tableau Workbooks for tons of tips) and then #2 to consider increasing the number of threads. If the issue is more VizAlerts just has too much to do, then #3 is consider increasing the number of threads or #4 potentially spread out a single alert into multiple alerts that can take advantage of multi-threading.

Jonathan

• 6. Re: Receiving multiple mails on single schedule
                    Dipashri Ambre

Hi,

Thankyou for your reply, my apology for not mentioning that I had 2 questions. The one you explained is for the view that has 15 minutes frequency. And yes ,when it misses the schedule ,the next time it will send mails 10 minutes apart.

My second question way:

I have another view for which schedule is " daily at 4 pm " , for this view I receive 2 mails . One at 4 pm and second at 4.10 pm

( or sometimes 1st mail is received at 4 pm and second at 4.20 pm). This view has only one subscription (schedule is 4 pm), and one entry in config workbook, but still I am receiving two mails.

Also I have my 3rd workbook which is subscribed to a schedule " Monday at 6 pm " . For this view also the client received 4 mails. Email body contains image of the sheet , so there are not any complex condition that may cause the multiple mails.(Email Action is set to 1 by default). Mails are received exactly 5 minutes apart.

I have no clue why this is happening !