1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2019 12:40 AM by sander.binda

Difference between Marks and Rows in Tableau

Thoa Nguyen

Dear eveybody,

Hope you could help me to clarify my issue!!

In work, my task is to calculate number of Customer in each year of each customer Segmentation.

When I calculated number of customer by Count Distinct email of customer in each year (my company is digital platform business),

it gave me the result of customer in 2017:  24687

Count Distinct Email 2017.PNG

My boss checked number in Excel:        :  24452. (by filter and remove duplicates)

Once again,I tried also checking in Tabelau without Count Distinct the email, it gave me the same result with my boss

I export to the data with 24452 to excel. to check duplicates. there is no duplicates also.

He  asked me to check it again and find out the reason why.

#Customer 2017.PNG

Additionally, At the end of the above Email (without counting Distinct Email) box in Tableau: surprisingly, there is a line that give same result of mine and my boss result

mark and row.PNG

To summarize,

24687: is my result (tableau with count distinct email)   and 24452 is without count distinct email.

24452: is my boss result ( in excel)

So, please tell me what are the differences between 2 results, which one is reliable and trustworthy. and what are differences of Marks and Rows also!!

Hope you help me!!

I am really appreciated.

Thank you!!

• 1. Re: Difference between Marks and Rows in Tableau
          KALPIT GOYAL

Hi Thoa,

Basically, in my example it is showing only one row as it is divided into several marks means for every month/year value changes. So that's why is showing 48 marks and only 1 row.

mark.PNG

Basically, when I change my dimension to continuous then it will take the row as one only and in how many parts view is divided that is marks.

I hope it helps, please mark it as a helpful and correct answer.

P.S: Please always provide your workbook for an appropriate answer.

Thanks,
          Kalpit

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Difference between Marks and Rows in Tableau
            Tanusri Sarkar

Hi Thoa,

Generally COUNTD(EMAIL) should give you the distinct Email count on Tableau.

In case you are unable to get the correct result, can you please share the dataset? This would help to understand the scenario better.

Regards,

Tanusri

• 3. Re: Difference between Marks and Rows in Tableau
              sander.binda

When I create a count distinct calculation and I make it a discrete pill and put it on rows I always get AGG(name), whi isnt your countD pill showing this?

Knipsel.PNG

• 4. Re: Difference between Marks and Rows in Tableau
                Thoa Nguyen

Dear Tanusri,

Thank you for you quick response

This is the data of my company.

I am unable to send it.

even I don't know what problem with my data giving me that results.

Let me see if I can create dummies or something else

• 5. Re: Difference between Marks and Rows in Tableau
                  Thoa Nguyen

Hi Sander,

I dont know why either.

it just gives me the COUNTD(EMAIL)

That's all!

• 6. Re: Difference between Marks and Rows in Tableau
                    Tanusri Sarkar

Hey Thoa,

Let me know if these below screenshots help you in any ways:

1. I tried to show CNT(Order ID):

2. Here I am showing CNTD(Order Id):

So, its showing 12 marks as there are 12 rows, I think the no of marks and no of no of rows are always same. I am curious why its showing different in your case.

Regards,

Tanusri

• 7. Re: Difference between Marks and Rows in Tableau
                      Thoa Nguyen

Hi Kalpit,

thanks for you response.

I dont know how my data is working.

Even now, I am still confusing.

This is the data of my company, I am not allowed to share it.

• 8. Re: Difference between Marks and Rows in Tableau
                        Ravikiran Sarala

Hi Thoa,

I think the filters which you are using is causing the difference in Marks and Rows count. first try to see the count by removing the filters, if you find the count as expected then we need to use LOD calculations to make the counts matching.

I tried with Tanusri's approach, i am getting the same counts. Please share the sample date to check from our end.

Regards,

Ravikiran S

• 9. Re: Difference between Marks and Rows in Tableau
                          KALPIT GOYAL

Thou, how many filters are you using and as per my knowledge filter is the reason for the difference in marks and rows so please select all in your or once drag out the filters so that you can compare the values of marks and rows with filters and without.

Give it a try.

• 10. Re: Difference between Marks and Rows in Tableau
                            anu j

Hi Thoa,

As per your requirement you want to understand 2 concepts,

1) How you are getting the value difference between tableau and excel.

2) What is Rows and Marks in tableau ?

Solution 1 :  Excel

Refer to the data given below in excel

When you apply count function on it then it gives you value 6.

it is so because count function considers only numeric value for count and skips text value hence you will get value 6.

Tableau : When you import the same value in tableau then it converts the value into text. When a count or countD is applied then you get the value 9.

Tableau Data

On Applying the function the output will be :

From here what we can understand that

In the excel file some of the numeric values are in text and hence the function is skipping that part . Tableau is doing the conversion and hence you are getting different result.

*** Your Task : a) In Excel Identify the data which are in text format and then convert it into numeric.

Please refer below image for your understanding.

============================================================================

Difference between Marks and Rows

Please refer the images that gives you clear understanding between rows and marks.

1)  Here we are getting 2 marks which is 2 measure values in a single row. The number of cell holding measure values are 2. Hence  1 row * 2 columns = 2 marks

2) Here we have added a dimension which is dividing the above value into 9 rows and 2 columns. So, total measure values generated are 9*2 = 18 values or 18 marks.

====================================

9 rows * 2 columns = 18 marks

====================================Definition : the number of cells containing measure values in the view.

I hope the above solution fulfills your requirement. Incase you have any issue in understanding the concept let me know.

If you like the solution please mark it as Correct / Helpful / Like.

Regards,

Anugraha Jain

• 11. Re: Difference between Marks and Rows in Tableau
                              Thoa Nguyen

Hi Kalpit,

you're right. cause since I start to filter. The number of Marks and Rows started to change.

I dont know what is the reason causing this issue!

• 12. Re: Difference between Marks and Rows in Tableau
                                Thoa Nguyen

Hi Ravikiran,

Thank you for reading and comment on my post!

I tried your method.

Since I start my first filter, the Marks and Rows start to change.

I dont know which cause this issue! and how to solve it!

• 13. Re: Difference between Marks and Rows in Tableau
                                  KALPIT GOYAL

Is your query resolved?

Now, what number it is showing in marks and rows?

• 14. Re: Difference between Marks and Rows in Tableau
                                    Thoa Nguyen

Dear Tanusri!

Thank you for spending time to fix my issue!

even when I dont filter it, my data still have Rows and marks different.

I am so confused what is the issue causing

data changing.PNG

1 2 Previous Next