2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2019 9:30 AM by Toby Erkson

Can anyone summarises the advantage of Viz alerts

Sonali Lohia

Hi ,

I want to setup viz alert in my tableau server and before going to that can anyone summarises the advantage of viz alerts and in what all scenerio we can use viz alerts.

What are advantage viz alerts over alert default option given in tableau.

Thanks,

Sonali

• 1. Re: Can anyone summarises the advantage of Viz alerts
          Jonathan Drummey

Hi, here's a table of differences: Comparing Tableau's native Subscriptions and Alerting and VizAlerts

As one of the contributors to VizAlerts here are the key differences in my opinion:

VizAlerts: Designed for admins, not end user-self-service. Enables complete control over when alerts are sent, who receives them, and the content of the alert, and supports SMS & email as options. Requires additional install and is community supported.

Subscriptions & alerts: End users can self-serve for subscriptions & alerts, with some administrative capabilities. No control over email content, no SMS option. Native Tableau feature.

Jonathan

• 2. Re: Can anyone summarises the advantage of Viz alerts
            Toby Erkson

Jonathan Drummey wrote:

VizAlerts: Designed for admins, not end user-self-service. Enables complete control over when alerts are sent, who receives them, and the content of the alert, and supports SMS & email as options. Requires additional install and is community supported.

Interesting and a little surprising.  I think VA fills a huge gap in TS.  It is a little more advanced so not all of my end users are using it (about 2%) and they must support themselves i.e. read the documentation and visit this forum for help.  Yes, I originally used it for server admin stuff but it's ability to email vizes outside of our organization has been beneficial to some of our vendors and field sales consumers.