1. One hour per Server instance assuming no difficulties / complexities with external load balancers or proxies. Does not include time needed for a scheduled restart of Tableau Server. Obviously, you should test on a non-production instance first, so "minimum of two hours" is the best answer. Setup is not super complicated, but you need to carefully review the manual and follow the instructions, or things will take much longer.
2. Yes, it was built for this type of use case!
Hi, adding to what Matt wrote: In addition to the 1-2 hours to set up, configuring each alert will take some time, here are the major steps:
1. build the view that will be sent as a CSV & publish it
2. identify the correct URL parameters for filtering the view
3. build the source for the trigger viz (that would have rows for Sam, Rose, etc.) and if necessary build the data pipeline for keeping that up to date
4. build the trigger viz with all of the required fields
5. test that
6. move into production
Depending on the complexity of the alert this could take anywhere from <1 hour to a several days, the major variables are #1 and #3 if we don't have the views we want to send or don't have the list of recipients we want to send to.