4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2019 8:22 AM by Amar Amar

Year or Year KPI calc

Amar Amar

I'm trying to achieve the attached use case. When i select a date from the filter, it should be able to look for same month previous year and calculate the YoY %. How to achieve this. Please advise.

I've attached the workbook.

• 1. Re: Year or Year KPI calc
          Norbert Maijoor

Hi Amar,

Find my approach as reference below and stored in attached workbook version 10.5 located in your original post here:

Year or Year KPI calc

1. 01 D Order Date (Month / Year):

2. 02 D Date: MAKEDATE(INT(MID(str([Order Date (Month / Year) Parameter]),1,4)),INT(MID(str([Order Date (Month / Year) Parameter]),5,2)),1)

3. 01 M CY Sales: if  datediff('month',[Order Date],[01 D Date])=0 then [Sales] end

4. 02 M PY Sales: if datediff('month',[Order Date],[01 D Date])=12 then [Sales] end

5. 03 M YOY %: (sum([01 M CY Sales])-sum([02 M PY Sales]))/sum([02 M PY Sales])

6. Drag the required calculated fields & measures to the indicated locations.

tableau pica.jpg

Thanks,

Norbert

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Year or Year KPI calc
            Amar Amar

it looks good. but can we do this without the parameter ...rather to implement this with a filter?

• 3. Re: Year or Year KPI calc
              Norbert Maijoor

Amar,

Yes & No;) if you want to use filter you could define each measure on a separate sheet & bring the 3 sheets together in a dashboard. To my opinion a little cumbersome;)

A lot folks don't like a parameter because it is not updated automatically but you could populate the parameter based on a clipboard action with all dates in the future:) 

Namasté

Norbert

• 4. Re: Year or Year KPI calc
                Amar Amar

ok. The parameter is the way to go as far as I know. but considering a dashboard is already done with filter, to avoid re write,

I need to capture the selected date from the date filter and use it in date diff calc for selected month current year to selected month previous year.

can you advice me on how can I achieve this using a filter