1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 13, 2019 10:55 AM by Matt Coles

Alerts get sent when schedule is changed

Daniel Lawrence

Tableau Server 2018.1

Desktop 2018.1

Has anyone else had this problem?  I have a Viz subscribed to a schedule and it is running perfectly fine but then when I change the schedule timing the Viz gets activated as if i had selected "Run Now"?

Example:

Today is 6/11/19 and I had a viz that is supposed to send out monthly on the 9th of the month.  It was scheduled for 1130 am and I changed the schedule to 2pm without changing the date.  The viz sent out 5 minutes later as if I had hit run now.

Do I need to unsubscribe from the viz before changing a schedule and then resubscribe to avoid this?

Thanks as always for your input and insight!

Daniel

• 1. Re: Alerts get sent when schedule is changed
          Matt Coles

Hey Daniel. Yes, this has happened in the past as an artifact of how VizAlerts uses the Tableau Server scheduling data to determine when to run. It's been a long time since I've looked at that portion of the code, but let me look into it and see if I can figure out what we can do to avoid it, because I think there's a better approach that we can take.

You can manually avoid it in two ways. First, as you mentioned, you can remove all the VizAlert subscriptions you want to switch to a different schedule, wait a few minutes to ensure VizAlerts removes them from it's state file, then re-assign them. Alternatively, you can stop the VizAlerts scheduled task, clear out the ops\vizalerts.state file completely, save it, move the alerts to their new schedule, then resume the scheduled task.