4 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2019 7:58 AM by Cody Short

Simple Alert on custom view fails with 404 error

Cody Short

Server version: 2018.3.6

VizAlerts version: 2.1.0

When setting up a "Simple Alert" (adding a subscription to a VizAlerts schedule) on a custom view (view with saved filters), Vizalerts fails with the following error (I've censored our domain for security):

The following errors were encountered trying to process your alert:

General errors:

HTTP error getting vizdata from url https://tableauserver.com/views/NPSSurvey_0/DailyCustomerCommentsDashboard/jsmith@local/MBRdetractorview?&:format=csv&:refresh=y. Code: 404 Reason: Not Found

Alert Information:

View URL: https://tableauserver.com/views/NPSSurvey_0/DailyCustomerCommentsDashboard/jsmith@local/MBRdetractorview
      Subscriber: cjones
      View Owner: jsmith
      Site Id: Default
      Project: Sales

Notice how VizAlerts is trying to add "@local" to the username in the URL. If I try to navigate to that URL I do indeed get a 404 error, however, if I remove the "@local" and go to the following URL (again I've censored the actual URL for security):

https://tableauserver.com/views/NPSSurvey_0/DailyCustomerCommentsDashboard/jsmith/MBRdetractorview?&:format=csv&:refresh=y

This URL works and successfully downloads the csv. But because VizAlerts is adding "@local" in the URL it's not resolving and working.

Further, I found that if I set up an "Advanced Alert" with something like: VIZ_CSV(NPSSurvey_0/DailyCustomerCommentsDashboard/jsmith/MBRdetractorview)

This works as well. The problem seems to only occur when trying to set up a "Simple Alert" on a custom view.

• 1. Re: Simple Alert on custom view fails with 404 error
          Matt Coles

Hey Cody. I have a hunch what might be going on, but I need a little more info to be sure:

1. What user owns the workbook, and what domain is their user associated with in Tableau Server?

2. What user created the custom view, and what domain is their user associated with in Tableau Server?

3. What user subscribed to the custom view, and what domain is their user associated with in Tableau Server?

The info I'm looking for can be found on each users's Settings tab:

My hunch is that there's logic in the VizAlertsConfig workbook that is conflating the domain of two types of users incorrectly.

• 2. Re: Simple Alert on custom view fails with 404 error
            Cody Short

Hey Matt. All users are on the same domain, although we are using local authentication so there really isn't a "domain". When I go to each user's page I see "local\" as the domain.

1. local\jsmith owns the workbook

2. local\jsmith created the custom view

3. local\jsmith subscribed local\cjones to the view

It's strange to me that it all works when using an Advanced VizAlert but fails when using a Simple VizAlert. It's as if VizAlerts uses a different url that includes "@local" for the simple one and it breaks, but the advanced alert doesn't add that to the url when it processes and it works.

• 3. Re: Simple Alert on custom view fails with 404 error
              Matt Coles

Ahhh, okay, now I understand. We shouldn't be using the domain in the URL for local auth users. This is a bug. I'm actually quite surprised we haven't heard of this before...I guess running with local auth is pretty rare. The reason that it works with Advanced URLs is that Advanced just trusts that you know what you're doing, and tries to use whatever viz URL you pass it, rather than construct it itself.

In your case, you can work around this pretty easily, thankfully. Try replacing the Custom SQL query in your VizAlertsConfig workbook with the attached version. That should fix it until I get a new version out that corrects this problem.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Simple Alert on custom view fails with 404 error
                Cody Short

Awesome, thanks for the help Matt!

I'll try the attached SQL and let you know if it doesn't work.