1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 7, 2019 9:09 AM by Cristian Matei

Timeout setting

Huey Shin Tan

Hi,

I am using Tableau 2018.1, saw a number of posts on how to change the timeout duration.

However, could not find any post that tell me how to check the current settings in the 1st place (as I am not the one who did the initial server setup).

Can anyone enlighten?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Timeout setting
          Cristian Matei

Hi Huey,

I'm not sure what you mean by timeout, however, I have listed some background information to make easy to understand the possible implications and at the very end are the commands for TSM (latest version in case you have upgraded). Gateway timeout - Default value: 1800 Longest amount of time, in seconds, that the gateway will wait for certain events before failing a request (1800 seconds = 30 minutes).

When you try to publish a workbook to Tableau Server or view a workbook on Tableau Server, one of the following errors occurs:

• Vizql::Error: Unable to load workbook
            Code: 800
            Details: Errors occurred while trying to load the workbook "[path]". The load was not able to complete successfully. The query time resource limit (1800 seconds) was exceeded.
          • Vizql::Error: Timeout error
            Code: 999
            Details: Timeout communicating with server: execution expired
          • Operation cancelled.
            The session has exceeded the 1800s limit.
          • HTTP request failed (400)
          • Cannot connect to Tableau Server. Please check the server name and port and try again.

1. Configure gateway.timeout and vizqlserver.querylimit timeouts

Please note that for Tableau Server 10.4 or later versions, the following steps do not need to be performed for the gateway.timeout.

The example here shows you how to increase the vizqlserver.querylimit timeout to 3600 seconds, or one hour.

1. From the computer running Tableau Server, open a command prompt as an administrator.
          2. Change to the Tableau Server bin directory using the appropriate path for your operating system and server version. For example:
            C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\[version]\bin
          3. Run the following commands:
            • tabadmin stop
            • tabadmin set gateway.timeout 3600
            • tabadmin set vizqlserver.querylimit 3600
            • tabadmin configure
            • tabadmin start

2. Test the configuration settings

After Tableau Server is restarted, repeat the steps that led to the timeout error. If necessary, adjust the timeout limits again. If the limits are still reached, have a database administrator check the query that is being run.

Cause

A task ran longer than the time allowed by the query limit.

Additional Information

The main Tableau Server timeout settings are:

• gateway.timeout: Covers the duration of any action on Tableau Server, such as publishing a workbook with a large external file or extract.Default value is 1800 seconds.
          • vizqlserver.querylimit: Covers specifically the queries executed to return views or populate extractsDefault value is 1800 seconds.

If using Tableau Server 10.3 or earlier, when you increase vizqlserver.querylimit, please also increase the gateway.timeout accordingly.

See more on:

tsm configuration set Options - Tableau

https://kb.tableau.com/articles/issue/timeout-errors-when-publishing-and-viewing

I hope it helps.