3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2019 11:13 AM by Matt Coles

"Consolidate Lines" and "Sort Order" Field Names

Jolie Ngan

Just to share some findings about Consolidate Lines and Sort Order.

As the instructions on VizAlerts/user_guide.md at master · tableau/VizAlerts · GitHub  says field names are customizable, instead of using of "Consolidate Lines" and "Sort Order", I used "Consolidate Lines" and "Consolidated Sort" in my first VizAlert tab. The emails were sent with no problem. However, when I test the VizAlert in the 2nd tab of my workbook, which also uses "Consolidate Lines" and "Consolidated Sort", I received error message when I test it.

Once I went back to the 2nd tab and changed "Consolidated Sort" to "Sort Order", the VizAlert went through with no problem.

So the finding is: the field name "Consolidated Sort" worked in the 1st worksheet but did not work in the 2nd worksheet, although two worksheets have similar structure and similar fields.

• 1. Re: "Consolidate Lines" and "Sort Order" Field Names
          Matt Coles

The error you're getting is because VizAlerts found two fields in your data whose name matches a single defined property.

There's a little funkiness there because we changed the field names a few versions ago to make them more generic (as we wanted VizAlerts to do more than just emails). But, we also wanted the new version to be backwards-compatible with everyone's previous alerts. You can see the regex patterns used to match the fields in this portion of the code:

# General

# consolidated and sort have backwards-compatible options for v1.x

self.action_field_dict[GENERAL_SORTORDER_FIELDKEY] = \

ActionField(GENERAL_SORTORDER_FIELDKEY, GENERAL_ACTION_TYPE, False, False,

u'.*Consolidated.Sort|.*Sort.Order')

self.action_field_dict[CONSOLIDATE_LINES_FIELDKEY] = \

ActionField(CONSOLIDATE_LINES_FIELDKEY, GENERAL_ACTION_TYPE, False, False,

u'.*Consolidate.Lines|.*Email.Consolidate')

So your two fields are being matched like so:

Email Consolidate Lines - Closed C/R

Email Consolidated Sort Order - Closed C/R

So, just rename the second to "Sort Order - Closed C/R" or something similar, and it will work fine. Just make sure "Sort Order" comes first--the rest doesn't matter.

Does that answer your question?

• 2. Re: "Consolidate Lines" and "Sort Order" Field Names
            Jolie Ngan

My question was: why the naming worked in the first worksheet but failed in the second worksheet in the same workbook...? I would think if the naming does not work, then it shouldn't have worked in the first worksheet either as it has both "Consolidate Lines - xxx" and "Consolidated Sort - xxx" as well. Yet, it worked in the first worksheet -- the VizAlerts went out with no errors... That's what confuses me. If it didn't work in the first worksheet, I would have figured it out earlier...

• 3. Re: "Consolidate Lines" and "Sort Order" Field Names
              Matt Coles

That I can't answer without seeing the logs. My guess is that there was something different between them, somehow.