For the actual email address(es) in the workbook you will use regular ones, not regex ones. For example, don't use tableau1@strikeusa\.com, use firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only the config workbook uses regular expressions in the parameters:
I went ahead and made the change but I still am not getting anything. I set up the scheduled task, I created the vizalert subscription as the guide suggested and again I added the test_alert comment and nothing. At this point I am not sure what I am doing wrong.
I found the issue thank to the following post Getting processing a total of 0 alets when using text "test_alert" . I had my workbook pointed to our production tableau server repository. once I pointed to the correct repository then the scheduledtriggerviews had some data in it.
Thanks to everyone who assisted with this issue.