3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2019 3:09 AM by lei.chen.0

Creating a date calculated field without using parameters?

Shekhar Koirala

I want to create a start date and end date filter or a range of dates that i can choose. After choosing the start date and end date or range of dates, the data associated with those dates should change. I want to do it without creating parameter. How can i do this? Thank you.

• 1. Re: Creating a date calculated field without using parameters?
          lei.chen.0

Hello Shekhar,

In general, drag & drop a date dimension onto Filters Shelf and select "Range of Dates".

If your data format or report logic is not that simple, please provide a sample workbook or some sample data.

Regards

Lei

• 2. Re: Creating a date calculated field without using parameters?
            Shekhar Koirala

Lei Chen

Hello Lei, there is no correct date dimension that i am looking for in my dataset. I have created two parameters start_date and end_date and used in the dashboard before, but i am using Apply button for a final run after i select all filters..so if i use parameter it creates a conflict there. So if you can help me create a calc field using which i can use as a date range or start or end date (like the parameter that i have) it would be great.

Also, on the other note, if you can see and help me behave the parameters same as filters? I mean i have created an Apply button in BI report as you can see, and the apply button only works for filters but not for the parameter. (I have created the button so that only after i select all the fields in the filters and hit Apply button the dashboard will change).  thank you. I have attached the workbook. 

• 3. Re: Creating a date calculated field without using parameters?
              lei.chen.0

Hello Shekhar,

Sorry for the late reply!

It took me time exploring your master piece

I understood the facts as follows,

- "Apply" is a pre-filtered worksheet, which is used to filter "HitsReport2" and "BillsReport"

- All of them have their own data source, Apply & CPAData (ReportDb), HitsReport2 & Hits18_V1(ReportDb), BillsReport & Bill18_V1 (ReportDb)

- CPAData (ReportDb) don't have a date dimension while the other two have

As a result, you can't use "Apply" to filter date dimension.

If my understanding is correct, the attached is a simple sample for this.

Regards

Lei