4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2019 2:26 AM by Tamir Gilany

Event Listener Parameter Changed non-reponsive

Sebastian Saint Arroman

Hi,

I have an extension that should refresh every time a filter or a parameter is changed. To refresh on filter changes, I've set an event listener on every worksheet and these work fine.

I have tried to set an event listener for the parameter change onto the dashboard as below, but find that the extension does not refresh on a parameter change:

function registerAllHandlers(settings) {

// register FilterChange event handlers for all worksheets

_unregisterHandlerFunctions = [];

const worksheets = tableau.extensions.dashboardContent.dashboard.worksheets;

// loop through all of these worksheets and add buttons for each one

worksheets.forEach(function (worksheet) {

var unregisterHandlerFunction = worksheet.addEventListener(tableau.TableauEventType.FilterChanged, function(selectionEvent) {

refreshExtension();

});

_unregisterHandlerFunctions.push(unregisterHandlerFunction);

});

// Next, add parameter change listener to dashboard object

const dashboard = tableau.extensions.dashboardContent.dashboard;

var unregisterHandlerFunctionParam = dashboard.addEventListener(tableau.TableauEventType.ParameterChanged,function (selectionEvent) {

refreshExtension();

});

_unregisterHandlerFunctions.push(unregisterHandlerFunctionParam);

}

I've also tried adding it to every worksheet instead of to the dashboard:

function registerAllHandlers(settings) {

// register FilterChange event handlers for all worksheets

_unregisterHandlerFunctions = [];

const worksheets = tableau.extensions.dashboardContent.dashboard.worksheets;

// loop through all of these worksheets and add buttons for each one

worksheets.forEach(function (worksheet) {

// add filter change listener

var unregisterHandlerFunction = worksheet.addEventListener(tableau.TableauEventType.FilterChanged, function(selectionEvent) {

refreshExtension();

});

_unregisterHandlerFunctions.push(unregisterHandlerFunction);

// add parameter change listener

var unregisterHandlerFunctionParam = worksheet.addEventListener(tableau.TableauEventType.ParameterChanged,function (selectionEvent) {

refreshExtension();

});

_unregisterHandlerFunctions.push(unregisterHandlerFunctionParam);

});

}

When wrapping the parameter change event listener in a try, I catch the error that the documentation tells me should be thrown if addEventListener doesn't support the eventType parameter passed. However, the documentation for TableauEventType says that I've used an acceptable type. I've also tried using "parameter-changed" as a parameter to addEventListener to no avail.

Thanks very much