11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2019 8:18 AM by Jim Dehner

Updated Rank List of Countries

Caitlyn Garger

The attached workbook was made using Tableau Desktop 2018.3.3.

Hello!

So I have been analyzing some data on imports and exports and wanted to bring some extra data in on balance of trade values for the years 2008-2018 for all countries. I have that data brought in and I was visualizing the change using this animation:

animation map.gif

Now I like this visual but what i really want to do is to add a list of some of the "superpower" countries and display their rank year to year as the map changes.

My first attempt to show this was the creation of a bump chart with unwanted countries hidden and I kept the 12 countries that I considered "superpowers". Unfortunately, I found out there is really no way to create a 'break' in the y-axis so this visual doesn't really help:

Even though this isn't a great visual, this is the idea of what I want to do.

The next idea (since I can't do the bump chart) was to do just a simple text list as shown in "Top 12 List Superpowers" worksheet.

Here I created a list to show the ranks and sum(value) that shows the balance of payments for each year. I already hid the unwanted countries and kept the 12 I wanted.

Now the format isn't great but it shows the rank change correctly:

animated rank list.gif

What I want to do is to have the positions of the countries to change so that the country with Rank =1 is always on top year-to-year.

Would love any insight!

Thank you!