0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2019 9:54 AM by Matt Jastrow

Create Burn Down Chart Using Addition and Subtraction Formulas?

Matt Jastrow

Hello

I am still fairly new to Tableau and I have been unable to figure how to build an accurate burn down chart with my data.

I have a list of hardware assets that I need to add and subtract based on two different factors, Location and Physical/Virtual.  I need to be able to show a burn down chart or at least a volume chart based on these factors. The problem I am running into is understanding how to build a calculated field that performs the necessary addition and subtraction for the appropriate fields based on a Date field.

I need to show an asset currently listed as Physical in Room 4 moving to Virtual in Room 1 at the date given in the Migration Date field.  So, as an example, on January 1, 2020 Server 1 needs to be subtracted from SUM(Number of Records) for Room 4-Physical and be added to Room 1-Virtual.

I started out by creating calculated fields for the “New” Location and “New” Physical/Virtual status. The formulas are listed below.

New Location1

IF [Modified Description] = "Decommission" THEN "N/A"

ELSEIF [Location] = "Room 1" THEN "Room 1"

ELSEIF [Location] = "Room 4" THEN "Room 4"

ELSEIF [Location] = "Room 4" AND [Modified Description] = "Virtualize and Migrate (Closing Room)" THEN "Room 1"

ELSEIF [Location] = "Room 4" AND [Physical/Virtual] = "Physical" AND [Modified Environment] = "ICRS" OR [Modified Environment] = "Big Data" OR [Modified Environment] = "ICRS LAB" OR [Modified Environment] = "Corp/IDXCORP" OR [Modified Environment] = "Prod/IDXPROD" OR [Modified Environment] = "INT" THEN "Room 1"

END

New Physical/Virtual1

IF [Modified Description] = "Decommission" THEN "N/A"

ELSEIF  [Modified Description] = "Virtualize (Non-Closing Room)" OR [Modified Description] = "Virtualize and Migrate (Closing Room)" AND [Physical/Virtual] = "Physical" THEN "Virtual"

ELSEIF [Location] = "Room 4" AND [Physical/Virtual] = "Physical" AND [Modified Environment] = "Lab" THEN "Virtual"

ELSEIF [Physical/Virtual] = "Physical" THEN "Physical"

ELSEIF [Physical/Virtual] = "Virtual" THEN "Virtual"

END

Hopefully that all makes sense. Sample Data and twbx file attached.

Thank you in advance!