6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2019 7:48 AM by Jennifer VonHagel

Assessment Cohorts

Patrick Raugh

I'm a relative newbie to Tableau working in Tableau 10.5, and I'm trying to track how groups of students perform on the same assessment that is given multiple times during the year.   In the basic attached workbook, I can only get the results to be shown independently season to season.  What I really need is for the winter results to show in conjunction with how the students performed on the fall result. For example, I want to see how all the students who were at the "Intensive" level in the Fall performed on the Winter assessment, how the students at the "Strategic" level in the Fall performed on the Winter assessment, etc..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pat

• 1. Re: Assessment Cohorts
          Paul Wachtler

Hi Patrick,

I think I got what you're looking for.

I created two calculated fields, one called Fall Result:

{FIXED [Person ID]: max(if [Season] = "Fall" then [Result] end)}

and another called Winter Result:

{FIXED [Person ID]: max(if [Season] = "Winter" then [Result] end)}

For each person these fields split their results into the two seasons.  I then placed those two fields side by side on the rows shelf and dropped number of records onto columns.  For each fall cohort, you can see how they performed in the winter.

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 7.23.27 PM.png

This is all in the attached workbook.

Best,

Paul

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Assessment Cohorts
            Jennifer VonHagel

Hi Patrick,

I really like Paul's solution above, it seems a bit more sustainable and easily update-able as new seasons roll in than what I've been working on. However, I'll go ahead and share my thoughts.

My first thought was that this is a perfect use case for a Sankey chart, but a Sankey is REALLY a hassle to build in Tableau.  I have a sample of one that is not unlike your data.  It is dummy data showing students' self-assessments before and after some training, the assessment being one of four categories from Foundational to Expert.  You can click the block of trainees who self-report as Foundational and find where they end up in their post-training assessments. And vice versa.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/jennifer.vonhagel#!/vizhome/SankeyExamples/SankeyTableauonly

If you want to build this, check out https://www.theinformationlab.co.uk/2015/03/04/sankey-charts-in-tableau/

What I did is kind of a quick, poor-man's version of this.  It involves creating separate worksheets for Fall and Winter, putting them both on the dashboard, and using Action Filters to see where where the individuals of one cohort in Fall end up in Winter, and vice versa. Instead of a regular bar chart, each block is an individual student.

So by clicking Fall's Intensive, we see 1 stayed in Intensive and 3 moved on to Strategic.

And by clicking Winter's Strategic we see where the five were at in Fall.

You can hover over a block to see the Person ID # and have that same Person ID highlighted in the other chart - a quick peek at that individual.

The downside of this solution is that the calculations need to be manually updated each season - it's all pretty customized.  Also, I realize you may have many more than 10 students and the individual blocks could get quite small. I've had visualizations where I needed individual blocks on a bar chart and there were many, and it worked out.

I'll attach the workbook here. I hesitate to write out step-by-step instructions because this may be too manual a process to be useful to you, but if you have any questions or need the steps written out, I'd be happy to do so.

best,

Jennifer

P.S., In later versions of Tableau, you can use a Sankey chart extension that makes building Sankey charts super fast and easy.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Assessment Cohorts
              Patrick Raugh

Paul, this is fantastic! I've been working on this for the last 3 or 4 days, and I figured an LOD was going to be my solution, but I couldn't figure it out.  This works perfectly in my expanded data set...thanks so much!

• 4. Re: Assessment Cohorts
                Patrick Raugh

Thanks Jennifer! This is a very elegant solution and what I had sort of envisioned when I began down this road.  I will definitely give this a thorough look through and try to incorporate at least some of this in my dashboard.

Thanks again!

• 5. Re: Assessment Cohorts
                  Paul Wachtler

You're welcome Pat!  If that answered your question can you please mark my answer as helpful and then as correct to close out this thread?  Thanks!

• 6. Re: Assessment Cohorts
                    Jennifer VonHagel

You're welcome! Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Jennifer