5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2019 1:54 PM by Joshua Milligan

Combining

hina.waheed.0

Hello,

I have 4 different data sources being joined with full outer joins. I want to make sure there is an admission date for each person, including unmatched rows. In the final cleaning step, I want to combine the four admission date columns into one by using the other columns to fill in the null values.

Columns are-

Admission Date- BPA

Admit Date- Science

Admit Date- Math

Admit Date- English

I have been using And/Or functions but I want to use something more efficient in tableau prep. How can I do this? Would I need to union the data?

• 1. Re: Combining
          Joshua Milligan

Hi Hina!

If you don't particularly care about the order in which the fields are evaluated (that is, you'll accept any non-null value, even an arbitrary one if two of the fields have conflicting values), then you can just Ctrl+Click each field in the Profile Pane and then select Merge Fields.  That will give you a single field with the values merged (nulls filled in by the first non-null found in one of the other fields, but the order selected by Tableau Prep - I think alphabetic order of field names).

If you want to control the order in which the fields are evaluated, then you can write a calculation like this:

IFNULL([Admission Date - BPA],

IFNULL([Admit Date - Science],

IFNULL([Admit Date - English], [Admit Date - Math])))

For each records, that will give you the first non-null date found in BPA, Science, English, or Math (in that specific order).

If you want to find the earliest non-null date, you could change the calculation to:

MIN([Admission Date - BPA],

MIN([Admit Date - Science],

MIN([Admit Date - English], [Admit Date - Math])))

Or change MIN to MAX for the most recent non-null date.

Hopefully that gives you some options!

Joshua

• 2. Re: Combining
            hina.waheed.0

Thank you for this! So helpful.

But to start with should I keep my full outer join?

• 3. Re: Combining
              Joshua Milligan

Hina,

That's hard to say without seeing the data itself.  Even a mock-up of the data and structure you are using would be helpful.  Do you have anything you can share?

Best Regards,

Joshua

• 4. Re: Combining
                hina.waheed.0

Attached is the mock data

• 5. Re: Combining
                  Joshua Milligan

Hina,

Thank you very much! That's helpful.

Here's the approach I would take using a Union to bring it all together, an Aggregate to find the first date per account number, and then joining that back into the flow so you can get the subject:

Merge.gif

The final flow looks like this:

where I've re-purposed the Table Names field to be the subject.

I've also attached the flow so you can take a look at details!

Best Regards,Joshua

1 of 1 people found this helpful